Neighbour has attached gatepost to my garage, legal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Little info first.

My house(detached)was built late 60's. My neighbours house was built in the 70's on the land next to mine.

Her gable is about 1.8m from my garage wall.

Today I went up on my garage roof to get some ladders and to my surprise I noticed she has had a gate fitted and the post has been attached to my garage wall using six bolts.

Not very happy to say the least as no permission was given nor asked for.

What's the position(legally)?

Tia

Sponsored Links
ask her to remove it and repair any damage
or come to some arrangement to keep the peace
she has no right to touch or damage your your property without permission

Maybe I could get her arrested for criminal damage,......oh god, how I wish :D

This neighbour is becoming a nightmare. 2 weeks ago I asked her if I could cut down some of the overhanging branches from her tree. She wasn't veryvhelpful but nodded in agreement.

Feckin ell, cut my hands to ribbons, she'd only nailed carpet gripper on the fence.....MY fence. She later explained it was to stop cats going in her garden, I have never seen a cat in mine.

She really is a witch.

As above, she has no legal right to fix the post to your garage without permission.
Don't, though, be tempted to remove it as you will end up with a prosecution for criminal damage.
If you want it removed, you would need to apply to the County Court for an injunction to stop the trespass.
But would you really want to do that - you have to live next door to her and what would she do next?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony, sound advice, but she really is a nasty old witch and tbh I would enjoy giving her a little(legal)grief :D

another thing to keep in consideration
if you are thinking off moving and you open a dispute with her you must delare this when selling the house and that could cost you money or the sale :cry:
so think in the long term :?: :?:

another thing to keep in consideration
if you are thinking off moving and you open a dispute with her you must delare this when selling the house and that could cost you money or the sale :cry:
so think in the long term :?: :?:

You are right, of course and your advice sound.

I won'tbe selling for a few years as it's my retirement fund so a quiet life is worth keeping.

It just annoys me how ppeople have a total disregard for others and their property.

Cheers

Terry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back