Neighbour threatening Legal prceedings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A little over a year ago we had our roof retiled with concrete tiles.

We used a reputable firm.

Today the neighbour came round and said ' We don't want to fall out, but we have rain coming in sort it out or we'll start legal proceedings in 3 or 4 weeks'

apparently in the heavy rain last week they had water come in down their chimney breast.

The neighbour says he has been in his loft and he can see day light where the roofs meet.

Our roof is brand new. We have marley roof tiles and they have slates, there roof has not been replaced in years, I am trying to get the man who runs the roofing company to come out and look at it thou I cannot get hold of him.

Who is at fault? If it is true? Is it us or the roofing company?

Help our neighbour is a nasty piece of work and waved his fist in my wifes face 2 weeks ago.

Sponsored Links
can you post a photo of the roof tile join betwix you and the n'bours?

maybe it is a minor issue with the chimney apron flashing. a photo of the chimney/roof abutment would help too.

was your roof previously tiled with traditional flat slates too?

it sounds like they should have used slates or advised you to . the roof should be watertight before the tiles are on thats the idea of felt or breathable membrane. id get the firm back if there roof didnt leak before you had yours done.

sounds like they've botched the transition between you and next door..

ask your neighbour if you can go into his loft to take photo's to present to the roofer.. then post them on here... :evil:

Sponsored Links
This smells fishy. How come the rain came in only last week, when the work was done (or left undone) a year ago? :confused:

I don't know much about the roofing business, but in general, I imagine you've be libel for the damage, which in turn means you're insurance company might be, or indeed the roofing companies insurance company might be.

If I'm not mistaken, if a company has the proper insurance, then they are covered in case they cause any damage to yours or other peoples property. Best thing to do would be to call your own insurance company and ask them if it has anything to do with them, chances are they get this all the time.

chuckalicious said:
I don't know much about the roofing business, but in general, I imagine you've be libel for the damage, which in turn means you're insurance company might be, or indeed the roofing companies insurance company might be.

If I'm not mistaken, if a company has the proper insurance, then they are covered in case they cause any damage to yours or other peoples property. Best thing to do would be to call your own insurance company and ask them if it has anything to do with them, chances are they get this all the time.

Hmmm, how many years does the OPs insurance have to cover the integrity of their neighbours roof for? As mentioned already, it has been watertight for over a year, through a whole winter, but as soon as it starts to leak it is the fault of the new roof? :confused:

well, we dont know if it was watertight or not. we only know when the complaint was made. A leak over a party wall will often soak into the brickwork without dripping through the ceiling. I once had a leak above a spare room, that ran down at the side of a wardrobe, and wasn't aware of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back