Neighbours extension causing our gutter overspill? -Abridged

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Plenty of views and no replies- must be my waffle so...

Abridged version:

Problem: gutter overspills at 'star' - see pic

Why? Neigbours extension and gutter layout?

What to do?

Thanks.

or, .......

Please could anyone advise us re our problem

Pics and spec's first. Our roof is 55m/2 as was next door's until they added 18m/2 extra roofing. All guttering is standard half round- that is, not deep-flow..

View media item 71599 [GALLERY=media, 71600][/GALLERY]

I am hoping that someone can advise with our guttering overspill problem on our 1930's semi. The house and garden are in need of alot of TLC....

My view- do you agree?- is that next doors extension has caused the problem by not only gathering more rainwater, but not setting the falls on extension correctly so increased our rainwater load. Solutions are not clear to me...

The original cast iron guttering and down-pipe was still present on our side when we bought the house 2 years ago. The gutter and down-pipe layout was the same for ours and neighbours i.e, respective gutters front and rear fall away from each other at party wall/centre line around to to respective downpipes. Theirs is still the same, albeit for their extension adds volume. They also have a single storey porch with its own gutter strip to what is ( i think) a new drain.

Note solid red arrow. At this point their gutter currently is set to fall backwards towards our gutter at the boundary union. With the design of their extension roof plus the 'backward running' section it seems to me that we have extra areas of rainwater (shaded grey with 'E') 'given' to us, but that our gutter (as original 1930's layout) cannot cope with.

Soon after moving in, we had our cast iron gutters (rusty, multiple leaks) replaced with standard half-round- matches next doors. Our down-pipe stayed in same location. I knew that the overspill see 'black star' on pic was occurring but thought that it was due to our gutters being knackered and having 'lost' their fall. Overspill allways and only happens there. Previous owners had let the place 'go' a little.

This was a cheap(ish) job. Tradesmen had a hard time getting fall right-lots of standing water. What they said should be done, but could not do, was raise the height of the point where our gutters join- so sending more of their water around the extension.

But, even with the new gutter, in heavy rain the overspill happens. It chucks it down onto flat roof of a bay window. Not good!

We are right now having (both) roofs stripped, gutters replaced with Deepflow, new facias and soffits all at the same time- same Firm. Contractor assured that his contract would be to use deepflow and get falls right- I fully explained the problem at point of quote. What I am now hearing from Firm, without their having gotten onto the gutters/facias, is that there may be needed another down pipe on our side. This shift in solution bothers me. It seems the cost, like the rainwater is being directed our way!

I do not want the extra down pipe as it will mean extra cost for us, and how to drain- soak-away? These are expensive- building control- 15m away etc etc.

Why do our gutters have to join at the rear- obviously they originally touched but fell away from each-other as at the front..?

I do not know where to turn for impartial advice and advocacy?

Ps. Neighbours are a good bunch but I am yet to reject extra costs for problems that I think are their (contractors) doing.

Solutions/Comments/Pointers very gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Why don't you suggest they drop a down pipe at the left side of there extension window and drop it into there porch gutter.

i was going to suggest this too (asking them about taking another outlet), the valley in the corner should be the highest point of the gutters, deeper gutters would be better too. the valley will be sending a lot of water to the gutters and any cr*p in the gutters would cause overflowing.

Why don't you suggest they drop a down pipe at the left side of there extension window and drop it into there porch gutter.

Thank you catlad. I think the idea is good, providing their gutter is set to run away from where ours and theirs join.

Question is, do you think they should?

I don't want to seem unreasonable; part of the reason for posting was to gauge just where 'fault' lies? ...and if I 'should' just take the costs and hassle of solving the problem on our side of the boundary...

So thanks for the suggestion. I hope to present them with a few!

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
if you are having your fascias and gutters done anyway, i would mention this to them politely and say would they be interested in paying the extra for the guys to fit the outlet on their side or doing it themselves, if they kick off i would put a stopend in the left of the 90 bend at the valley and then start your gutters with a stopend, falling towards your outlet

if you are having your fascias and gutters done anyway, i would mention this to them politely and say would they be interested in paying the extra for the guys to fit the outlet on their side or doing it themselves, if they kick off i would put a stopend in the left of the 90 bend at the valley and then start your gutters with a stopend, falling towards your outlet

Thank you s60tsy.

I like the sound of the latter options- as in affirms a sense that I do not owe it to take from their side at all? Though they are having their gutter, facias and soffits replaced also so there should be scope for their falls to be set correctly- that is very steep away from the boundary and perhaps with another down pipe just around their corner.

it can be a ball ache sometimes gettin the falls all right and looking right too, not everything is as level as it looks sometimes. also some fitters just whack em on anywhere

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back