Neighbours Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 1970s link detached 2 storey house where my adjoining neighbour’s building line is staggered front and back.
They have said that they wish to extend the rear of their house so that their building will be in line with ours and that they need to use part of the wall which adjoins our lounge.
What I would like advice on is:

1. Is the extension likely to decrease the value of my property?

2. Can I insist on an extended party wall to provide screening between the properties to preserve the level of privacy I have now. (Their back door will be in line and about 2m to the left of my double doors that open from my lounge into the garden, at present it stands back from the edge of my property by about 2M)?

3. We already suffer from noise from their side, can I expect improved sound insulation on the new build so that the disturbance is not increased?

4. Is there anything else I should consider?

I have no wish to oppose an application but I do want to make sure I look after my own interests and any advice will be welcome.

Thanks
John S

Sponsored Links
Any pics or a diagram?

Trying to get my head around your description especially the bit about them using part of your lounge wall.

If it is as I picture it then I don't think the noise from their side will improve with their house getting closer to yours....

Bit more info would be good - the experts here will probably ask for that too!

B

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back