Neighbours flue overhangs my boundary (split off from old thread)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
split off from 4-year old thread
Hi, I have a dispute with my neighbours. Boiler Flue terminates into my garden, boiler was replaced in last 2 years just before I moved in.

Sponsored Links
You really need to start your own post with your own pics, it is against site rules to Hi- jack existing posts and you wont get the correct advice

Take advice from the other thread and ask council to visit and advise. Have tea and chocolate biscuits on hand.

Speak to Gas Safe and see what they advise. Assuming the boiler was registered, they should be able to make the original installer return to correct it

Sponsored Links
Be prepared for local building control and gas safe to pass the buck between each other , it is what they do, just dig your heels in and demand results, your neighbour wil not be a happy bunny though , but you havent done anything wrong so why should you have to suffer

So before you moved in - then the previous owners are the ones that allowed the neighbour to terminate their flu in their property.
It's simple trespass if it was not allowed.
I doubt gas safe etc. will have anything to do with it if it's terminated correctly as many simply go through walls - got any pics?

Is it actually causing you a problem?
Talk with Gas Safe quoting the chapter and verse found in boiler manual under flue installation for your boiler. Do not let them brush the issue under the carpet as what the manual says becomes regulation under Gas Safety ( Installation and Use) Regulation

Last edited:
Be prepared for local building control and gas safe to pass the buck between each other , it is what they do, just dig your heels in and demand results, your neighbour wil not be a happy bunny though , but you havent done anything wrong so why should you have to suffer
Not so much passing the buck, if gas safe were not nitified of the installation its nowt to do with them and due to the length of time involved B control will be statute barred from enforcement.

Not so much passing the buck, if gas safe were not nitified of the installation its nowt to do with them and due to the length of time involved B control will be statute barred from enforcement.
not if as you say the boiler was replaced in the last 2 years,it wont and if it was never notified then gas safe have to ask why

I would take up the point with your solicitor as to why they did not pick this up in the pre sale enquiries. They certainly charge enough to make sure they get things right. You will need to be persistent with them.
At the same time I would advise the neighbours that you will not allow access for any maintenance.

I'd be very wary of starting off life in your new home by raking up a dispute with the Neighbours. Flue may be wrong, but if it's been there 2 years, then that's 2 years before you were. If you didn't like it there, it would have been better to walk away from the property and find another, you wont win a popularity contest if you force the neighbours into expensive boiler modifications...

not if as you say the boiler was replaced in the last 2 years,it wont and if it was never notified then gas safe have to ask why
Its actually 2 years to get it to court, the new neighbour who wasn't there is in no position to claim when it was done.
I've contacted gas safe several times in these situations to report the gas safe installers for carrying out illegal work and not notifying them of the installations when dealing with Regularisation Certs. their attitude is, its down to the installer to notify us, if he hasn't done so we're not interested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back