Neighbours guttering pouring out right next to my fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My neighbour recently built a large summer house that backs on to my land. It didn't bother me at all until today whilst up a ladder in my garden I noticed that his guttering is directed towards my property and deposits between his wall and my fence. As the summer house is 27 square metres, this is going to be quite an amount of water (its only been there a couple of months during which time we obviously haven't had much rain).

Hopefully the attached photos should show what is going on.

The fence is mine, but before the neighbour moved in he walled off his entire garden. As such the void between the wall and fence is his.

I can't see far enough down to see whether or not the pipe goes into the ground, but common sense would suggest not, as they did not access my land (to my knowledge) and would have had to dig under their wall to achieve that.

Is this legal? And if not, should I be concerned? I assume that the large amount of water will damage my fence (its old, and I'm trying to grow some privet to hide it before it needs replacing). Unfortunately the wall was built without any prior notice, so I didn't have a chance to tidy the cement before it dried, so it does need to be hidden.

Any advice anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220724_184249.jpg
    IMG_20220724_184249.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20220724_184253.jpg
    IMG_20220724_184253.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 189
Sponsored Links
Ask him to alter it.

If that fails ask the council's environmental protection team to make him alter it.

Or tell him you are getting a drainage team in to install some drain's and he will be receiving the bill!

He would seem to have gone to a great deal of trouble, to deliberately create a Statutory Nuisance.

A gentle way to approach the problem, would be to ask him where is planning on disposing of the water. It's certainly not acceptable for him to build a wall, then dump the water on your side of the wall.

Sponsored Links
Pull the diagonal bit out of the bit on the wall and twist it round to point into his land more.

It's still draining onto his land is it not?
Yes, as described, the void between the wall and the fence is his, and so it is definitely emptying out into his land. I have had a closer look over the fence. As expected it does not go into the ground and pours out close to ground and comes out sideways (so not pointing directly at my fence).

Does that make it ok then? I assumed for such a size (I think from planning application it was 27 square metres) that it would have to be drained into a soakaway and that it would have to be a certain distance from the boundary. Its currently approx 20-30cm away.

I assume that amount of water into such an area will cause some problems?

I assume that amount of water into such an area will cause some problems?
Of course, although the location of the water has changed a bit, it's the same amount landing on the roof as used to land on the ground....

so whether it will cause problems or not does depend on the situation.

Of course, although the location of the water has changed a bit, it's the same amount landing on the roof as used to land on the ground....

Whilst perfectly true, now it is concentrated in once small area and the area it used to be able to disperse in, will no longer be available to it - filled I assume by a base slab.

so whether it will cause problems or not does depend on the situation.

Very much so, but I expect it will cause localised flooding once the weather becomes wet.

As said, a polite way to tackle it, would be to ask the neighbour what he has in mind as a permanent solution to deal with the water - indicating that the OP is aware that what is there now is not an acceptable solution long term.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back