neighbours leaking boiler.

N

novicebuteager

just had my neighbour inform me that her boiler is leaking water and as its on our party wall she is worried water will enter my property.
her installer cannot get to her until tuesday,well i have just looked at it and the pressure readout guage is at 1 bar but it is leaking a lot maybe for 2 hours now.
the display is flashing E4 and gurgles,this is now turned off electrically.
boiler is a remeha 18v as per invoice left.
water seems to be dripping from overflow type of plastic pipe.
so is there any thing that could be done to prevent further damage.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it's dripping from the condense, if the boiler's turned off it should stop, how long has it been turned off for?

Guessing this is a fairly new install, it sounds like it is the condense running out of the white pipe. 18v is an open vent boiler so should'nt have a pressure guage?

Sponsored Links
pressure still at 1 bar.
found from previous posts for this boiler that gurgling is a sign outlet pipe is blocked with ice,well no ice today in west london.
noticed where the white pipe terminates in a plastic pipe from gutter to ground level,there was water leaking around where over flow pipe enters this gutter pipe.
pulled out overflow pipe from gutter pipe with very little force and a few gallons of water flowed out,waited for it to stop and found water still level at connection to gutter pipe.
so pipe down from gutter was blocked resulting in it backing into boiler.
not dripping or gurgling now but still flashing E4.
just waiting for it to dry out.
beginning to think the installer is a cowboy.

pressure still at 1 bar.
found from previous posts for this boiler that gurgling is a sign outlet pipe is blocked with ice,well no ice today in west london.
noticed where the white pipe terminates in a plastic pipe from gutter to ground level,there was water leaking around where over flow pipe enters this gutter pipe.
pulled out overflow pipe from gutter pipe with very little force and a few gallons of water flowed out,waited for it to stop and found water still level at connection to gutter pipe.

Two issues with this:
1) It's not permitted to run a condense to rainwater (the gutter), it must be run to foul waste.
2) The connection has clearly not been sealed correctly, so even if it was permitted, which it isn't, it's badly installed.

The condense really should be re-routed to a proper drain, and preferably run inside to prevent freezing in winter

well there is the usual steam issueing from her boiler now,so it has dried out and working.
she is going to cancel the installers visit on tuesday and will get the installation inspected,she said something about he was suppose to come back to finish something off,do paperwork and collect final payment. :cry:
that was in march.
watch this space. :eek:

pressure still at 1 bar.

1) It's not permitted to run a condense to rainwater

Thanks for the heads up on this regulation.

I was going to drain to a rainwater gully for a job next week.
Can you point me to the relevant reg so I can show the client
why this can not be done. It will now cost an extra £195 to go
for a condense pump to opposite side of house.

well my neighbour is happy to let the overflow/condenseing pipe drip away into her flowers.
she has arranged for a consultant to inspect her new boiler installation and provide a report,is this normal for a dispute ?.
she cannot be present tomorrow on that visit and i will let them in,would you like to know what happens.

thanks.

pressure still at 1 bar.

Two issues with this:
1) It's not permitted to run a condense to rainwater (the gutter), it must be run to foul waste.
2) The connection has clearly not been sealed correctly, so even if it was permitted, which it isn't, it's badly installed.

The condense really should be re-routed to a proper drain, and preferably run inside to prevent freezing in winter

Depends if your rain/foul are combined,depends if the installers fitted a neutralier,depends,depends,depends.

installer could be a cowboy but reccomended by gas safe in his local area.
So does the gas safe website keep out of date records on their web site.
he is owed over £600.00 for this install.so he must be doing ok.
or retired. or banned ?.
anyway i will let you know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back