Neighbours log burner flue in my loft.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure its not a gas flue from your house? I recal seeing shallow flues that are built into the wall for gas fires which then come out into a pipe in the loft then up to a ridge vent.

There may have been a gas fire in the house at some point that could have been removed and the opening in the wall boarded over. There is no obvious chimney breast inside the house for this kind of chimney.

Have you got a photo of yours and your neighbours roof from outside?

EDIT: believe they are called flue block chimneys.

EDIT 2: spotted someone allready beat me to the type of chimney

Last edited:
Totally non compliant with building regs if that flue is serving a solid fuel appliance and would be condemned if inspected by Hetas/LA

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Precast flues/chimneys were quite common in 1970/80's built houses. They were built into the wall so you very rarely had a chimney breast. What you see in the loft is the transfer block going to the flue pipe from your lounge/living room, the pipe is probably Nurastone and not asbestos (though you may want to test it if doing anything to it, personally I would leave it alone). This pipe goes up to a ridge terminal. They are only suitable for certain low power gas fires, not inset or decorative gas fires, and certainly not solid fuel/log burning fires.

What below it in the house, do you have any type of fire/boiler/fireplace on that wall?

Does the flue get warm/hot (watch your fingers)? Is that wall the attic divider between your house and the neighbours? If it's coming through that wall it could be theirs

Precast flues/chimneys were quite common in 1970/80's built houses. They were built into the wall so you very rarely had a chimney breast. What you see in the loft is the transfer block going to the flue pipe from your lounge/living room, the pipe is probably Nurastone and not asbestos (though you may want to test it if doing anything to it, personally I would leave it alone). This pipe goes up to a ridge terminal. They are only suitable for certain low power gas fires, not inset or decorative gas fires, and certainly not solid fuel/log burning fires.
Also with OP saying they occasionally smell smoke this would suggest the blocks have cracked which was pretty common .
And if they have stuck a wood burner onto it somehow , christ knows how its coping it must be spilling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back