Neighbour's new loft conversion has left me exposed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My semi-detached neighbour has just about completed a bedroom dormer conversion in their loft space. At the same time they have replaced the natural slate roof with man-made ones instead so it appears that a (butt-ugly) bonding gutter was needed to be fitted down the centre line of our roof.

The consequence of this is that they have lifted our tiling to be able to place the bonding gutter underneath and left plenty of exposed gaps. There is evidence of new nailing in the battens seen within my loft, but the tiles are not flush with the battening. Visually the tiles appear lifted up along their sides due to this while of course the neighbours are neatly flush and have a weatherproof membrane fitted. So I'm feeling they have had some of their improvements at my expense lol.

It's blowing a gale at this time of year through these newly-created gaps, although my roof does not have under felt fitted so would have had some air blowing in from a few gaps elsewhere I guess, but not as severe as it is now. I'm equally concerned that rain water will be passing into the loft space as it runs down the bonding gutter too.

Attached are a couple of pics from inside the loft to illustrate the situ a little better.

IMG_20191206_130010450.jpg

IMG_20191206_125810155.jpg

I appreciate if you cut down the centre of a roof there is going to be some form of gap between roof and existing rafter from the battening BUT is it deemed my responsibility to contract a roofer to make good and improve the situation? The gaps are all the way up to the chimney at the front of the house, the rear roof section where the dormer has been constructed should be okay because this side is using the original tiles.

I've already had a word several times (before work started as a matter of courtesy) and again after about the fitting of new soffit, facia & guttering which has gone past the party line, leaving my guttering dangling in mid-air. I seem to be ignored about it so far and do not want to make any further complaint unless I have reasonable grounds regarding the roof finish. I'm anxious not to appear to be a problem neighbour but at the same time do not wish to be left with problems in the future for me to have to deal with if I didn't create them.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Tell the roofer or neighbour your concerns regarding the gap under the slates.

I dont think a party wall agreement covers roofs.

I haven't been given an agreement. Yes I will tell them but would prefer to understand what the best practice is for roof replacement on semi-detached buildings, and the acceptable finish that will affect a neighbouring property.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Should the edges of the tiles be bedded into mortar up the length of the Bonding Gutter and tamped down to sit properly aligned? Or similar?

They can't leave your roof worse than it was before. Don't suppose you have a photo from the outside showing this 'bonding gutter' :?:

I'll take one in daylight tomorrow but I'm not sure it will highlight much of the issue 'from above' at street level. Will give it a go though.

I am all for air flow, but this just is not right.. pictures from outside please

If it's a dry gutter, that's how it will be, but should be watertight.

its not right. possibly the wrong product. in fact slate to slate, be it cement fibres to natural slate even dissimilar sizes do not need need a bonding gutter of any description..

The top of the party wall /roof interface should be firestopped anyway shouldn't it :?::!:

its not right. possibly the wrong product. in fact slate to slate, be it cement fibres to natural slate even dissimilar sizes do not need need a bonding gutter of any description..
Yes, I thought bonding gutters were used for different tile types like going from concrete to clay or similar

Mind you, would man made be a different size, or different headlap? In which I guess it wouldnt line up.

Sorry for the delay but here's the external view. Waiting for weather and permission to climb up the scaffold to inspect.
A picture paints a thousand words is my first thought. Neighbours are reasonable but I don't think they are too interested in the problem that has been imposed on me to be fair.

That gutter left dangling should be attached to what was an exposed party roof rafter, now covered & taken over by the neighbour's new guttering, soffit & facia. So the party centre line is just about where the bonding gutter upright is.

As a point of interest three doors down had just the one side converted & re-roofed too, but they managed to merge old and new tiling together successfully without using a gutter.

I have asked for a meeting with the supervisor (the company seems to sub-contract everyone in).

IMG_20191208_132654670_HDR.jpg IMG_20191208_132657761_HDR.jpg

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back