Neighbours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"Neighbour building kitchen extention so using caravan and told me that he had simply connected caravan to house CU. I offered to put in earthing as he is on PME system. This is what I found and is shown as found! This (part) fusebox is in the shed and feeds a stable, a shed, a garage and a woodstore. There is a RCD on the stable sockets only. The only protection is the DNO's 100A fuse as this system comes off a Henley before the house CU. Not only is the busbar completely exposed, but the switch is wrongly labelled, "off" = really "on".
The advise is repeatedly given on this forum to check that the volt-stick is working (on-off-on). I'm writing this because I followed the advice."
V

pics to follow - many thanks to william admin

Sponsored Links
be sure that the fuseboard cover is on when u are trying to determine whether the switch is "off or On"

some switches (ie wylex old boards) have a sliding labe; which if the switch it 'pointing to off' with the cover off the board, it is 'on' as the slider label would display the word 'on'

can also be a problem with volt sticks .... no idea why, but we had a scenario where the voltstick said it was live when it was off, and dead when on .... : :confused: use a proper voltage indicator/multimeter

Apologies,
Hope this works. That is the complete show - no cover at all. The yellow lead is to a socket used for a welder. Hard to see (as camera held overhead), but busbar along bottom completely naked - and the first thing you'd touch if reaching up in the dark!

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/ehs284/101_1881.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/ehs284/101_1880.jpg

Yes I do use a proper Wantan voltage tester as a voltstick and Metrel for tests, but never trust the meter for first checks.

Sponsored Links
cant get the bottom one to work.

you have done it not quiote right, see forum info>posting a pic (you have [url whien it should be img :confused:

The switch isn't incorrectly labelled, the cover is missing off the CU. 110v sockets should not be used for 240v (which is why the blue ones are available). The flex shouldn't just be hashed into the CU either.
It is very dangerous to use the CU in this condition.

Try again. Pity one more neurone and I could have been a geranium

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/ehs284/101_1881.jpg

[img]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/ehs284/101_1880.jpg

If the cover is never on then this needs sorting straight away (as it appears by the earth lashed in)

supposing a lighting fuse blew and someone stumbled in there in the dark or poor torch light ... they can touch the busbar which is exposed

the left hand fuse needs a holder (as the two on the right have) put in so that the live slots are not exposed

is the main earth cable 16mm2 ? hard to tell in photo

Jim2287 said:
If the cover is never on then this needs sorting straight away (as it appears by the earth lashed in)

It appears ( unless a result of camera angle ) that the main switch over hangs the edge of the back box ( more in the box then should be ) so the lid could never be fitted.

Diabolical bodge

Dangerous as well.

I'd recommend a new CU to the owner as it would be easier than sorting out the numerous bodges..

In the meantime notify the client (also in writing) that the installation is not safe and recommend it is isolated immediately.

Thanks all,
Have notified him as suggested and he's agreed to a new CU properly fitted and keeping building locked until this is done.

Has nobody noticed the fact the Live and neutral are passing through separate metal holes without even having propper grommets fitted!

With the way this is done your get Eddy Currents!

This installation surely was not done by an electrician, But an incompetent D.I.Y’er.

Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back