Neon tube light stopped working - MCB tripped

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
As stated in the text shown previously "....neon/argon with some mercury vapour....."
It cannot be. Winston says it will glow red, because that is the colour that neon renders, always, forever, no deviations. It's a fact. Just accept what he says, you know it makes sense.

There is a great deal about Winston which would make sense.

None of it involves accepting what he says.

It cannot be. Winston says it will glow red, because that is the colour that neon renders, always, forever, no deviations. It's a fact. Just accept what he says, you know it makes sense.

Fluorescent tubes contain MOSTLY mercury vapour with tiny amounts of the other gasses. So they will not glow red. I never said it would glow red with a very small proportion of neon.

Why don't you read posts properly and not take the *iss?

Here is a photo of the garage consumer unit, where the 5 amp MCB of the lighting circuit broke. As I wrote, putting in the one that seemed to be spare (the only unlabelled MCB and also 5amp, and I haven't that anything stopped working after we swapped them) fixed the issue.
It is a very old CU labelled MEM where the MCBs have round buttons. Is there any chance I could still get a replacement breaker from somewhere? Any shops specializing in old spare parts?

Attachments

• WP_20170330_18_13_55_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170330_18_13_55_Pro.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 81
On ebay they are selling used ones, taken from boards that were removed- for £20+!

Thanks. I just came across the ebay listings myself.
I don't think I will spend that much on an older breaker, that may or may not work!

I do realize they stopped producing them, but perhaps there is hope that someone stocked up on them years ago and is desperate to clear the stock?
One of those shops that got stuck in time (1971 ideally - year the garage was built). The problem is, they don't tend to sell on the internet...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back