Nervous about boxing in joints - advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,

I have refit my bathroom but have ended up with a compression joint in a really tricky position. Should it fail in the future there is no real chance of getting tool access.

Is there anything I can do to limit the risk of this failing? Is it worth breaking the joint to add jointing compound? Is there something I can wrap the joint with?

gw

Sponsored Links
Wet pipe, hence the use of it. It is theorectically possible to drain the system though, just a massive headache to do so. Though it would give peace of mind...

Anyother plumbers tips?

Sponsored Links
Million and millions of houses where done with compression joints if its not leaking just now and its not going to have any outside factors affect it then why would it leak in the future ? . Worrying over nothing its in its ok leave it

Anyother plumbers tips?
put a glass or ceramic bowl under it - if it ever does leak it`ll only weep . ;) The only joints I`ve ever found to pull apart and flood me - were old Soldered ones :evil: move one end of the pipe and the bloody thing gives up - that doesn`t happen with compression ones :p

That is a really interesting point. So leave a bowl under it, and just check it occassionally? Out of interest, why glass/ceramic and not plastic?!

I am not sure whether it would work with this case as the pipe is a vertical "T" off a horizonal pipe only 1" from the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back