Nest - Call for heat not working, but hot water is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wired up a v2 nest before, no probs. Version 3 has hot water also.

I have a Nest V3
Programmer was: - Potterton EP2002 (2 channel - Hot water and Heating)
1 x 3 port valve
1 x Hot water tank - Not plugged in, as gas heats all water. (never been plugged in)

I have the following connections from Nest to Programmer
NEST: 1 2 3 4 5 6

PROG: - L 4 - L 3

programmer.jpg

The call for HOT water works when hot water is asked for via app/thermostat etc.
The call for Heating does not, No sounds etc (Yes there is voltage on terminal 4 Programmer, the relay does click on when asked.) System all working before.

oldprogrammer.jpg

QUESTION 1 : Do I need to add the other connections that nest said...like below....
"As stated during the call, terminals 1 and 4 on the Nest, which are the satisfied for each switch, are not usually necessary. "

NEST: 1 2 3 4 5 6

PROG: 2 5 4 1 L 3

QUESTION 2 : It seems when call for heat the pump does not start as usually it would start and gushing sounds are heard, but this is not the case. I feel that there is a live missing, and the pump does not know to start. How do I rectify?

Any help appreciated.

potwiring.jpg

Sponsored Links
Don't you think telling us the boiler model might be important?

The significance of that is that the pump is not controlled by your ( rather old ) boiler but by the call for heat.

I avoid giving advice on wiring of controls because I am so scared of anyone damaging their equipment be wrongly wiring something.

Tony

Sponsored Links
The timer front i have taken off. But backplate i have left. The nest controls the timings now.

All original wiring is as the photo

Just connected nest 4 to potterton 1
(NEST EMAILED ME THIS, TOO)

No change...HW works Heating does not

Added nest 1 TO potterton 2 and this also is the same result. (Also like nest said)

The links they said usually not needed have been added...no change???

For three port valve, it is a Y plan, you need three signal outputs from any programmer, either Nest or EP2002. They are: hot water off, hot water on and heating on.

If you are sure the heating on is connected correctly, then check further to the three port valve.

Just connected nest 4 to potterton 1
(NEST EMAILED ME THIS, TOO)

No change...HW works Heating does not

Added nest 1 TO potterton 2 and this also is the same result. (Also like nest said)

The links they said usually not needed have been added...no change???
check if you have a 230v to the white wire of the three port valve, for most of middle position valves.

White, brown, blue, yellow, yellow/green, comes up in a cable.

White goes to C and connects to another white.
Brown = prob live as it is in port A
Yellow = 1
Blue = nuetral
Yellow/green = earth

I take its the pump?

Any help....

1474643190021-1615274442.jpg
Just manually put on nest box. This turns on heating and hot water.....no voltage on white wire. That seems to be all i can test.

The white wire being tested at programmer backplate

Called nest installer....

Everything was wired up correctly...

But.... when i added nest thermostat I just taped up old wires and held in place behind wall. They needed to be joined then hidden. They gave power to somewhere else.

ANSWER : Join existing thermostat in living room wires together when replacing with nest.....

Thanks for your help... anyway....

Called nest installer....

Everything was wired up correctly...

But.... when i added nest thermostat I just taped up old wires and held in place behind wall. They needed to be joined then hidden. They gave power to somewhere else.

ANSWER : Join existing thermostat in living room wires together when replacing with nest.....

Thanks for your help... anyway....
Dear Mike,

I am facing the same problem. I have prt100 thermostat. Should I connect all the three wires and put them behind the wall ? Or only two. Please help. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back