Nest Gen 3 move or wait or change?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My hall cools too slow, so if the temperature turns down, rest of house gets cold, before hall gets cool. I fitted a Nest Gen 3 thinking at the time it would pair with my Energenie MiHome TRV heads, but it didn't work, so the heads just have same program as Nest, every other down stairs room either has a used door to outside, or alternative heating, hall did seem the best location and wires already there.

I note in USA Nest has released the Nest sensor
The Nest Temperature Sensor works with the following thermostats:
  • Nest Learning Thermostat, 3rd generation
  • Nest Thermostat E
For the following countries:
  • United States
  • Canada
  • Mexico
These would cure my problem, would be great if released in the UK, the Nest Gen 3 was selected as it allows both DHW and CH to be controlled with 2 wires. And I only have two wires boiler to thermostat, it leaves boiler brown, black, grey and earth and arrives in utility room as red, yellow, blue and earth and one core open circuit, then second twin and earth to hall, since no idea where colour changes, thought safer to use 12 volt DC of Nest Gen 3, not keen on using 230 volt when no idea of where the junction is.

I note one can get a cradle 1662280117662.pngso I would assume with one of them I can move my thermostat into the room in use, but that it seems will leave a empty socket on the wall, and not sure how the thermostat will like being repeatedly unplugged and plugged in between the two receptacle, I could put power to the hall unit and fit a Nest Mini I suppose which would look OK?

But powering the thermostat with USB is not really that good of an idea, with it floating around in a room with two radiators two windows 90º apart, and a patio door, and an open fire, air flow is a bit random.

So considerations are:-
1) Wait and hope Nest release sensors for the UK.
2) Get a Nest stand even if it does look bad having an empty nest socket on the wall.
3) Fit a different system will need volt free contacts with N/O and N/C as fitted to a C plan system.
So Drayton Wiser is out as not volt free, as is Hive, so not sure what I could use?

System is oil fired, with two pumps and motorised valves so main house and flat under house are independent. At the moment missing one relay, so flat will not fire up boiler, the house needs to be running, on my to do list, but flat rarely used in Winter, it is more like a garden room for summer. However I do want it available for when friends visit.

Sponsored Links
So considerations are:-
1) Wait and hope Nest release sensors for the UK.
2) Get a Nest stand even if it does look bad having an empty nest socket on the wall.
3) Fit a different system will need volt free contacts with N/O and N/C as fitted to a C plan system.
...or 4)
Temporarily take base and thermostat off the wall, connect it to a USB power supply in your room of choice, and see if it makes a difference!

The problem is the cost of the cradle, £35 is nothing if it works, but a lot if it fails. I feel I was conned being told the Energenie worked with Nest, but maybe it did when the advert was written, but the way the wired follows this basic plan 1662327484605.jpegalthough slightly more complex due to having two pumps, but the N/O and N/C contacts are feed in, and Com feed out to boiler, reverse to standard way with Y and S plans, and finding a thermostat/programmer with the volt free contacts seems to be a problem. I know I could use a relay, but that seems to be getting a little complicated, and some day I will not be around to repair it, so want to try and keep it simple.

As I said, you don't need the cradle to experiment.
Just disconnect the Nest (and the base, the nest won't work on its own without the base) and plug it into a USB power supply.
All the the cradle is, is a stand for the base and the nest.

Screenshot_20220904-225643_Chrome.jpg

You then just prop the nest in an appropriate position.
If it works, good! Buy a cradle!
If it doesn't, put it back on the wall in the hallway :)

Sponsored Links
The base
1662329543355.png
from memory has two wires connected to it, I suspect I need a new backing plate
1662329773443.png
for the USB to plug into instead of having the two wires? It seems you can get blanks. 1662330270859.pngHowever it is nearly three years since I fitted it, I have not pulled it off the wall to look to see if there is a USB socket as well as the terminals for the two wires, and since not cold yet, no point pulling it off the wall now, need to wait until cold first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back