NEST install...am I going mad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My plan was to replace an existing antique programmer with a new NEST heat link, and power the stat via USB.

I have a Y-System with Drayton 3 way valve, and a Ideal HE18 boiler. I have a Honeywell Programmer and wiring centre.

The existing programmer works the valve well, connections are:

L
N
1- HW OFF (Brown)
2- CH OFF (Not connected)
3- HW ON (Grey)
4- CH ON (Black)

Looking at various guides and the NEST manual it looked like I needed to bridge the L terminal to the commons on the NEST (2 + 5). My plan was to connect the NEST like this;

L
N
1- Black (CH ON)
2- L
3-
4- Brown (HW OFF)
5- L
6- Grey (HW ON)

Suprise... it didnt work as expected, it would fire the boiler when I boost hot water but the solenoid would only move to midway.

I'm pretty sure its something fundamental (not just my knowledge gap!)

Can the Heat Link replace the programmer like for like??

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
Terminal 3 in the heatlink is CH ON (Call for heat). You have connected to CH satisfied.

I'm sure I tried it both ways...

Does the rest of the wiring look alright for replacing the programmer with NEST?

Will try again soon

Sponsored Links
'solenoid valve?'

do you mean motorised valve?:(

I suppose in plumbers parlance...Be surprised if it's a motor and not a solenoid in there though!!

Refilling system soon after some rad moves so will try again after I've put it through some cycles on the old programmer

Thanks all

I suppose in plumbers parlance...Be surprised if it's a motor and not a solenoid in there though!!

Why would you be surprised to find a motor in a motorised valve?

Why would you think that heating engineers actually know less than you about what is in the valve?

Why, with all your knowledge that is above us, has it taken you nearly 2 days to wire up a simple stat that an engineer would have fitted in an hour?

Why have you not taken the advice that was kindly given and wired it correctly?

Why would you be surprised to find a motor in a motorised valve?

Why would you think that heating engineers actually know less than you about what is in the valve?

Why, with all your knowledge that is above us, has it taken you nearly 2 days to wire up a simple stat that an engineer would have fitted in an hour?

Why have you not taken the advice that was kindly given and wired it correctly?

Apologies, wasn't meant to come across as condescending, unlike some of the replies on this thread. I am grateful for the help, every day is a school day...so sorry, life has gotten in the way of my installation. I intend to take the advice and post back results for posterity.

J

Nice one J.

Follow the wiring advice given and you should be golden. Let us know how you get on.

Jon

Lol....well said...having taken hundreds of solenoid valves apart...and lots of motorised valves....and sat in a classroom 3 years doing hnd in electrical/electronic eng ..i would like to think i have a vague idea... but hey....im just a lowlife plumber rippin ppl off!!!!...rant over..

Lol....well said...having taken hundreds of solenoid valves apart...and lots of motorised valves....and sat in a classroom 3 years doing hnd in electrical/electronic eng ..i would like to think i have a vague idea... but hey....im just a lowlife plumber rippin ppl off!!!!...rant over..

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Ok, finally got around to pulling out the old programmer again, and NEST is in and working fine, reversed the CH call for heat/satisfied I had incorrectly identified and all is well.

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back