NEST Installation

All 3 lights are steady green if I press the button to manually turn the heating on, if I do it via the nest thermostat it is just the green top light.

I took your advice again and took all wires out and put them back in and re-tightened them. After turning the electricity back on the heating appears to have kicked in. I will see if it stays on until the thermostat reaches the correct temperature and update you.

Thanks again for all your help! Would never have been able to do it without the advice :)

Sponsored Links
The heating has now got up to temperature as it's supposed to and it has switched the boiler off, looks like it works!

One last question, our hot water has always been heated on demand controlled by the thermostat on our tank. I'm not sure what schedule to use for hot water via the nest. If I set it to 24/7 will it override the stat and permanently be heating the water? And on the other hand, if I don't schedule it for long enough will the water fail to be warm at any time of the day?

If the Heat link button turns the heating on and off, then the wiring is OK. So, it sounds like you had some sort of communication error. In one of your photo's the top light looked blue not green, which I think is something to do with this. Anyway, it's working now so see how you go.

I don't know how the two items are located in relation to each other, but the thermostat shouldn't be more than 30 metres from the Heat link, and not have large metal objects blocking communication between them. One guy installed his Heat link where his programmer had been and then stood a microwave oven in front of it which screened it quite effectively.

The hot water will work exactly the same as it did with your original programmer. So you just set the 'on' & 'off' times with the Nest, and the cylinder thermostat will control the temperature that it heats up to, exactly as it did before.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back