NEST Protect Installation Advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello chaps,

We've finally moved into our new house last week, and I need a bit of advice please on the installation of a NEST Protect smoke/CO2 alarm in my garage.

I have 2 incoming power circuits into my rather long garage:

1. One for lights at the front of the garage, taken from the 1st floor circuit using 2-plate method (Power at the switch);
2. The other circuit directly coming from the CU that powers the garage sockets and is then split off mid-way into an FCU for lights at the back the garage. The FCU acts like a light switch.

I need to install the NEST somewhere in the middle.

I can cut into the 2.5mm cable between sockets and take a junction from there which will use a lot less cable, or I can take a feed from the switch but will use more cable.

Would one be better than the other?

If I took a permanent live and neutral from the 2.5mm power cable and used a 1.5mm cable for the NEST, would I need to use an FCU?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
We've finally moved into our new house last week, and I need a bit of advice please on the installation of a NEST Protect smoke/CO2 alarm in my garage.
Presume you mean CO but why? Is the boiler in the garage?

Would one be better than the other?
No.

If I took a permanent live and neutral from the 2.5mm power cable and used a 1.5mm cable
1mm² will be hugely oversized; no need for another 50%.

for the NEST, would I need to use an FCU?
A switch will be handy so may as well.

Presume you mean CO but why? Is the boiler in the garage?
Ah, yes! You presume correctly - CO... Sorry...

Boiler is in the kitchen, not in the garage. The reason I went for another NEST is that I already have two installed in the house. And the reason why I need to install a smoke alarm in the garage is because I will have a stack IT servers running 24/7, as well as my LiFEPO4 batteries once my solar installation is finished.

1mm² will be hugely oversized; no need for another 50%.
Great, even cheaper!

A switch will be handy so may as well.
I'll add one just in case and pop a 3A fuse in there.

Awesome, thanks for the advice.

So my plan of action is this:

Between two of the sockets, I'll safely cut into the 2.5mm² cable. I'll attach both legs of the cable into Wago 3-terminal blocks and add a 3rd cable for the new FCU. I'll take the load for the NEST using 1mm² cable from the FCU, and hopefully that'll be that...

Now, the NEST is double-insulated, so there's no available terminal on the NEST for a CPC, so I'm a bit stumped as to what to do. There'll obviously be a connection for the CPC within the FCU, so am I best to just attached a Wago to the other end to safely terminate it? From the short length between the FCU and the NEST, I guess I could attempt to pull out the bare CPC conductor, would this be advisable?

Once all connections are teminated correctly, I'll add the Wago joins into a Wago box and zip-tie it all up to be maintenance free.

Please let me know if I'm incorrect, or have overlooked anything.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've taken a pic (please excuse the mess) and added some crude arrows and text boxes to explain where the two sockets are and where I intend to make the cut for the new junction.

garage.jpg

Thinking about it, instead of cutting where I originally intended to cut, can I take a feed from Socket 1 directly into a new FCU? If I'm not mistaken, this would be classed a spur off of Socket 1 - correct?

Thinking about it, instead of cutting where I originally intended to cut, can I take a feed from Socket 1 directly into a new FCU? If I'm not mistaken, this would be classed a spur off of Socket 1 - correct?
Yes, that is what I had in mind.

As it turns out the socket is not nearer than the junction box would be but that doesn't matter; it is better not to have JBs if they can be avoided.

Awesome, thanks for your help; I'll get everything I need and make a start on it this weekend.

Just one more question, which might not even matter, but i'll ask anyway just in case:

Should the FCU be placed close to the NEST, or can it be placed it nearer to the socket?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back