netbook graphics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my netbook as packed up now...was getting this screen view when starting up, then the vertical lines would go after a minute or so.. and then you wouldn't see them for perhaps another week or so...but now it won't boot up.so i am assuming that was a signal for the graphics begining to pack up.the problem is i think you've got to change the full motherboard, and they are about hundred quid..i wouldn't mind but it's only 14 months old.

Sponsored Links
You are probably right and the artifacts are caused by the graphic chip.Looks like a problem with overheating.I do not think replacement of mobo is a reasonable solution in this case, it cost too much.Check the current prices on brand new ones :) .

I would firstly contact Acer in order to establish the problem and ask how much they would ask for the repair ( obviously too much :) ), on the other hand, ensure that this model has not been recalled i.e. common problem with this model that would make you eligible to fix it free (happened to me once with Sony Vaio CS ).

Give it a good clean with a compressed air, in your case ,dissasembling might be necessary to get the job done properly.

If that fails, sell it on spares...

Could easily be a loose cable.

Disassemble it and reseat the video cable (both ends if it disconnects at the display end, too), see if it helps.

Sponsored Links
the thing is it went in for repair for a keyboard problem 10 months into it's life and i sent a photo with it showing these vertical lines.they fixed the keyboard,But said they could not replicate the problem,which i thought was a bit naff with all the testing eqipment they have...the motherboard is solid state..the model is acer A0531h-obk...i havn't been to their website to see if there as been issues with this model..but certainly will tonight.

Their website's not going to say 'oh, yes, all these laptops have faulty chips'.

Reseat the video cable.

If it was only 14 months old I would forget the manufacturers warranty and start looking up The Sale of Goods Acts. They give consumers more rights than any warranty plus the time limit is 'reasonable' for the product.

No court in the land would consider the lifespan of a laptop to be 14 months!

Just a thought if it is just 14 months old. When did the problem come to light with their new chipset and USB (Think it was that)

That it was said would cause overheating later on in a computers life.

Just a thought if it is just 14 months old. When did the problem come to light with their new chipset and USB (Think it was that)

That it was said would cause overheating later on in a computers life.

You mean the B2 stepping Cougar Point issues? That won't be affecting a 14 month old laptop and has nothing to do with USB or overheating, nor video output.

E: And having looked up the details, certainly not an Atom based netbook..

May also be worth a look over at the Aspire One Users Forum and putting your query on there.

I've been resurecting my neice's AOA110 netbook with Tiny XP and an upgrade to 1.5GB of memory - what a stripdown to access the memory slot that is!!
Tried it with Tiny 7, but it was way to slow - Tiny XP runs like a little trojan.

Plenty of help/advice/tutorials on there - well worth a punt.
Homer

You mean the B2 stepping Cougar Point issues? That won't be affecting a 14 month old laptop and has nothing to do with USB or overheating, nor video output.
Just looked up my own notes and yes that was it. (Made note to myself -don't rely on memory!)

Still say OP should look up their rights under Sale of Goods Acts.

well i put it all back together again...still no joy...so i thought i'de copy the stuff off the hard drive before i sold it for spares...i bought an adapter to do that...But when i rigged it up, the hard drive it justs clicks, So i am wondering if the hard drive was buggered and causing the net-book not start up...The question is this....Would i have still got a black screen if that was the case.

Sponsored Links
Back