Network cables and central heating pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Experts,

How would you feel about routing network cables, TV aerial cables, and central heating control cables (240V, but very low current) in a floor duct also containing lagged central heating pipes?

I think this comes down to, how hot does it get inside such a duct? (I haven't made it yet so I can't just measure it!). Surely it will always be less than 70C, so normal cables are safe, right?

Or is this an abomination that must not be allowed?

Sponsored Links
Nope, May as elected PM is an abomination that must not be allowed.

I would say that if the pipes are lagged and the Cat 6 is not in contact with the pipes that it will be OK.

Hi John,

Did you like my post for the electrical or political comment?:sneaky:

Sadly, newspapers like the Mail, and the Sun, and the Express will convince their readers that if we had corporation tax levels lower than Germany or the USA then every company would leave the UK, and that "going back to the 70's" (when we had an NHS, we had swimming pools, we had libraries, we had old people's homes etc) is an act of treason.

And sadly the ******* will believe the lies, like they did last June, and vote to make their lives worse, like they did last June.

Sponsored Links
and that "going back to the 70's" (when we had an NHS, we had swimming pools, we had libraries, we had old people's homes etc) is an act of treason.

Do you seriously think we are able to get back to that world now?, whatever the reasons are, and who ever is to blame, the county has changed, indeed the world has changed, how do you suppose we get our heavy industries back, for example?

I wouldn't mind going back to the 70's.

I do it all differently, that's for sure.

Do you seriously think we are able to get back to that world now?
Are you attempting to suggest that the Tory press is trying to mislead the citizens of this strong and stable nation?

Last edited:
Temperature does have some effect on the transmission of data along CATx cables. But too little to be of concern in a domestic installation.
Quoting from Belden / Nordex

www.belden.com/pdfs/Techpprs/Temperature.pdf

Temperature effects
Cable attenuation is significantly affected by temperature. In the Category 6 standard (TIA/EIA-568-B.2-1, Annex G), it is recommended to reduce the length of a channel if the cable is installed at a higher temperature. For example, if a minimally compliant Category 6 cable is installed at a temperature of 40 °C (104 °F) then the maximum length of cable needs to be reduced to 84 meters in order to maintain the same transmission performance as 90 meters of cable at 20 °C.
Rather than to reduce the cable length, a better alternative is to install a cable with a lower Insertion Loss (Attenuation), such as the 4800LX cable from NORDX/CDT where the Insertion Loss is ~ 12 % lower. The lower Insertion Loss for the 4800LX cable is achieved by using a slightly heavier gauge of copper conductor, approximately 0.6 mm (~23 AWG) in diameter.
Table 1 shows the Cable Insertion Loss Factor relative to the Category 6 standard that is required to maintain the same transmission performance at higher temperatures compared to the reference temperature of 20 °C.

I would say that if the pipes are lagged and the Cat 6 is not in contact with the pipes that it will be OK.
:LOL:actually the electrical, I don't think I want to debate politics on here, I value my sanity too much.
Although sounds like I'd not be in the minority...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back