Network help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, could do with a little assistance please.

I have wired my home with Cat5e network cables which all run from my new study. In total I have 8 cables.

Somehow I need to wire this all up.

So, should I terminate each cable with a standard RJ45 plug and just plug into a new giga switch or should I go the patch panel way?

If the patch panel is the way forward, anyone got any good recommendations for a cat5e network to support gigabit?

Switch-wise I'm thinking of going for a Netgear GS116 into which all the house room's network cables will terminate. Along with that I will plug my broadband router into this along with a NAS storage device and my PC. Is this a good approach?

Again any recommendations as to where to buy patch cables/modules etc greatly received.

Finally - which wiring standard should I chose for the modules etc? 568A or 568B or does it not matter as long as it is consistent?

Thanks all.

:?:

Sponsored Links
Finally - which wiring standard should I chose for the modules etc? 568A or 568B or does it not matter as long as it is consistent?

568A or 568B - Makes no difference as the connections are straight through anyway (as long as you use the same standard at both ends of the cable), down to personal preference.

So, should I terminate each cable with a standard RJ45 plug and just plug into a new giga switch or should I go the patch panel way?

Patch panel is tidiest way to do it but more expensive, both ways will work though....we have a customer who has their entire (small) offices cabled without a patch panel.

If the patch panel is the way forward, anyone got any good recommendations for a cat5e network to support gigabit?

Not sure I understand the question, are you looking for a recommended manufacturer for patch panels, cable etc...?

Switch-wise I'm thinking of going for a Netgear GS116 into which all the house room's network cables will terminate. Along with that I will plug my broadband router into this along with a NAS storage device and my PC. Is this a good approach?

Yes

Again any recommendations as to where to buy patch cables/modules etc greatly received.

Can't help sorry.

I would suggest patch panels as well, This way you can use them for telephony or other data connectivity as well if you need. Have a look at Mills If you haven't got one already I would suggest getting a decent Krone insertion tool like this one

If you really want to be swish, if you don't have a rack, you could get a hinged wall mount bracket. Like this

With regards to suitability for Gigabit you just need to make sure that you have wired the pairs correctly. Gigabit ethernet uses all 4 pairs and it will be important that you have them in the right place.

• Pin 1 Orange & white
    Pin 2 Orange
    Pin 3 Green & White
    Pin 4 Blue
    Pin 5 Blue & White
    Pin 6 Green
    Pin 7 Brown & White
    Pin 8 Brown

Sponsored Links
Back