neutral caught fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would cause the neutral tail incoming to a domestic cu to catch fire 25mm. Loose connection ? i dunno .

bigbob :eek:

Sponsored Links
Yes, very likely a loose connection or the tail may have had a lot of dirt on it when it was terminated (high resistance joint)

If only the Neutral connection is involved then you are correct: - loose connection.
Jaymack

ty for prompt answers. it did not blow service fuse 60a does this still look likely problem?

bigbob :confused:

Sponsored Links
Yep - most likely the loose connection with a dirty one being an outside possibility (also some of the neutral tail's insulation may have been clamped in the tail, causing higher resistance!)

PompeySparks said:
(also some of the neutral tail's insulation may have been clamped in the tail, causing higher resistance!)

Reminds me of one of the worst wired plugs I ever saw, insulated conductor clamped in the screw, then a tail of stripped wire reached round and was pressed against the top of the screw, luckily it was only a portable televisoon, so no real current draw.

Interesting discussion on why it always seems to be the neutral that burns up here: http://www.theiet.org/Forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=9343&highlight_key=y&keyword1= though it didn't really go anywhere, personally I guess its probably due to the greater respect people have for phase, and they subconciously give the phase the extra turn and not the neutral

'personally I guess its probably due to the greater respect people have for phase, and they subconsciously give the phase the extra turn and not the neutral'

Agree Adam - it shows how widespread the misconception is that there is 'no current' in the neutral (confused with 'no voltage' in a correctly tied down neutral - the current in the neutral should approximately equal the current in the phase in a single phase supply)

I have found more than a few terminations in plugtops (and fixed wiring!) where the person doing the work did not bother to strip the insulation but just terminated the un-stripped ends!

Presumably they thought the terminal screw would sufficiently pierce the insulation and make a solid connection...

or more likely, they just didn't give a 4X!

Hey Pomp, now you may have hit on an idea there.
Maybe we can persuade manufacturers to modify the terminal screw so that it cuts/peirces the cable, could save us a lot of time. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back