Never look under the carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20180311_102608.jpg
IMG_20180311_102819.jpg
I'm assuming the person who fitted these water and gas pipes was aware that the joists, not the pipes are supposed to take the weight of the floor.

This explains the noises when walking on this part of the floor

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The pictures aren't very clear, but there's nothing but splintered wood in the middle where the two floorboards meet (obviously the t&g has also been sawn through to install the pipes).

Floorboards basically resting directly on pipes when loaded.

Last edited:
I get the nasty feeling, that you'll find worse to come - but I hope I'm wrong for your sake. Obviously, you chisel it flat, and put a block in to bring it up to the right height.

Yeah that's basically what I did, but also put some 2.5mm steel strap across the top to help bear and distribute the weight. The access isn't good due to the boards disappearing under a tiled floor. It's no doubt a bodge that someone in future will curse me for, but it's about what I can achieve right now. There are other bad areas but I managed to replace the boards with chipboard flooring that bridges the gaps more effectively. No doubt none of this is good for the strength of the joists, but hopefully they have a good safety margin...
IMG-20180311-WA0004.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Okay, it's bit of a bodge, but I've seen worse. If you can chisel out the depth of the strap and nails from the bottom of the boards, you'll be fine.

I think I've a similar problem in my utility I think - which is right next door to where the Oil Boiler is in the garage. I can hear\feel the pipes banging on the floor when I walk over the area where they (pipes) cross the threshold from the Garage to the Utility. The floor is slightly raised too. I think the boards my have warped upward with the heat. Slightly perturbed by it as the house is only 14/15 years old :/

A job for the summer....no doubt I'll be on here asking for advice when I get round to it!! :)

We had the whole area of laminate floor doing a weird ripple when you walked across it, when I finally got it up I found the floorboard was screwed to a couple of bit of wood and similar to yours there wasn't much sprsupport it.
I screwed some plywood to the sides of the joists with smaller notches as appropriate, leveledl up properly and supported the floor boards on that.

Wasn't as bad as when I found someone notched just over 50% through a 7 inch joist to get a fall on a 40mm waste. And it still went uphill.

Had exactly the same thing! I cut a piece of 18mm ply to make a 'double-width' floor board and screwed it down from either side avoiding the middle altogether. It doesn't work too badly but the solution posted here is better.

I've seen it countless times, and in my own house too!
They may be sparks and plumbers (I did say "may") but they sure as hell ain't chippies. If they've butchered the wood, what else have they been slipshod with?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back