New 6x2 joists warping!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps.

Bought some 6x2 joists for my loft conversion, about 3.5m lengths. As specced by S.E.

Thing is this was some time ago, I left them in the loft to acclimatize, supported and on edge. A few I fitted, nailed at each end awaiting bolts to existing ceiling joists. Then got sidetracked.

Many have now twisted, both free standing and some nailed in place, such that they need replacing. I appreciate that a pro outfit would have them in and job finished in a matter of weeks which I can't do, but the other roof timbers are ok and they are in the same environment.

What do I need to do to stop this happening again? What did I do wrong? Do I need to heat the loft space whilst they 'settle' given that the work will be progressing through the winter and into next year?

Appreciate any input, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Fix them in and fix some strutting/noggins between them to prevent twisting

Otherwise leave them outside, but covered to keep them dry.

Never store timber on edge. Lay it flat or on packers every metre or so

For any in place, you may be able to fit some solid noggins gradually, and this may take the twist out

may be completly obviouse but if your timber has a bow top or bottom you should always place the bow ontop and rely on the finnished structure to pull flat ;)

Thanks big-all, it's not so much bowing as twisting through the length of the beam. But I'll bear that in mind.

I'll try Woody's suggestion and fit noggins. Hopefully temporary ones as along with the acoustic fibre fill I'm fitting UF heating and cutting that many notches will be tedious! If they are straight at the time hopefully the floor and ceiling will resist any further movement.

Thanks chaps.

Sponsored Links
If you are having UF heating, glue and screw the floor panels down, otherwise when the timber shrinks you could end up with a very squeaky floor.

Once the floor and ceiling is on, then the noggins do become largely redundent except for the ones around the perimiter of a room.

Once the floor and ceiling is on, then the noggins do become largely redundent except for the ones around the perimiter of a room.

Noggins or strutting are an important component in strengthening a floor - they take the bounce out of individual joists, and make them work in unison - as a floor unit not just a series of joists.

The deck and ceiling will not do this alone

Following previous replys which set me on the right path I did my homework and now have a better understanding of how the flooring/joist system works as a combined unit, and will prevent the problem that I had re-occuring.

My poor storage has resulted in a loss of around 50% of my timber, although I have plenty of perimeter noggins now!! I think I was going by the way I store my old vinyl L.P's, not stacking flat, but it's a valuable lesson learned.

If anything I have now gone overkill by fitting two rows of metal herringbone struts when one would have sufficed, and I will glue the floor in addition to screws.

Many thanks for all the positive input setting me straight, cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back