New alarm panel with old bell box - siren sounds when armed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I've just replaced an old Veritas 8 Compact control panel with an ADE/Honeywell LogicSix (with built in key fob) but its the same as the Gen4 etc - https://www.security.honeywell.com/uk/documents/Logic 6.pdf

I've got everything working apart from the external bell box. First of all, it appears the old installers joined an 8 core cable somewhere I can't get to right now, so it's not easy to see what colours are feeding what at the control panel end. I took a photo of the old control panel and wiring before taking it out. The installation has:

1 bell box (no strobe, just siren)
1 PIR
1 Door sensor
1 Window/glass sensor

They have used red/black for +12/0v respectively, so that's ok. I get power to the PIR and window sensor ok. The other 6 cores are:

2 for door sensor
2 for window sensor
2 for bell box

It looks like they have joined the 12v (hold +) and 0v (hold -) from the bell box in to the same red/black that is being used for the PIR etc. Is this normal, or a problem for the ADE?

I know on the ADE it has T A D B for:

T - return
A - 0v
D - +12v
B - bell trigger

The Veritas control panel only had B connected for the bell trigger, so on the ADE control panel I've left the jumper link in between T and A, left D empty and wired the bell trigger wire to B.

This all appears to work, until you set the alarm. As soon as the system is set (after the exit timer), the siren goes off immediately, until you un-arm the system.

Does anyone know what I've got wrong?

Thanks,

James

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have the bell trip in set terminal

You mean on the bell box side?

On the alarm control panel the bell trigger is definitely wired to 'B' which is for the bell trigger. The 'set' terminal (which is next to 'B') on the control panel has nothing wired in.

Thanks

Ok stay inside, arm system keep still near the control panel, when the time runs out does the internal sounder from control panel sound , and is there a zone light still lit on the control panel ? If not wait for 30 secs does the bell stop ?

Sponsored Links
Ok stay inside, arm system keep still near the control panel, when the time runs out does the internal sounder from control panel sound , and is there a zone light still lit on the control panel ? If not wait for 30 secs does the bell stop ?

When inside the system counts down as normal with no zone lights activated. I can open the door and it recognises zone 1 etc and when i close it it continues the countdown as expected. As soon as the system is armed, the bell sounds. The internal sounder does not though. I will test if it lasts more than 30 seconds. What would that indicate?

Thanks

Only thing possible is that the panel can do strobe confirm on arming , if the strobe - is linked to the bell it may ring the bell for around 20/30secs on arming ...

There is no strobe on the bell box anyway, so the strobe terminals are linked out on the control panel. I have read and re-read the engineer mwnu and it should be fine to just use 'B' for the bell trigger. I'm stumped as to why the siren would go off when going in to set mode.

Thanks

do a list of termainals panel and a list for the bell and what wires are going where.

for bell trigger, tamper, power and strobe and power, if your not using the strobe then dont wire them.

Have you done a bell test, fire strobe does the bell ring?

Or better still post a picture of panel pcb !
Strobe terminals should not be linked

picture is probably better to see exactly whats going on.

I would have thought the linking of strobe + and - would have blown the fuse.

and the eternal bel may ring as no power from the panel.

Got it! It was indeed the strobe + and - having a jumper wire between them. Removed that and it works as expected.

It was like that from factory as its a brand new panel and I had not touched the strobe terminals, so I assumed they should be left alone if no strobe used.

Cheers!

James

That is a classic example of knowing what is and isn't right.

Don't ever take it for granted that the panel is provided with everything in its proper place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back