New back door - need some advice (with diagram)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an integral garage which I'd eventually like to convert, but for the time-being I just want to knock-through a new external door, and split the garage into two. The rear of the garage will be used as a utility room (with only external access) and the front with the garage door will remain a storage area.
When I do eventually convert the whole thing, the rear will remain a utility room and the front will be a play-room or something similar.
Here is my high-resolution and very technically detailed diagram of our garage as it is now:
9Jb1FOk.png

As you can see... Both the electric box/meter and the boiler are where the new door would ideally go.
If we put the door beside the electric stuff, then this will happen:
avUN3D5.png

... We'll end up with a much bigger utility room than we need, and when we eventually convert the entire garage the play-room will be tiny. We want it the other way round, with a small utility room and a big other room.

Looking for some opinions about what we can do. It's a new-build house, if that makes any difference.
Ideally - the electric stuff and boiler would be moved to the back wall (through from the kitchen) so we can put the new door at the back of the garage where the boiler is currently... But I'm guessing moving the boiler to an internal wall will be expensive, and is it even possible to move the electric stuff or will the electric provider say it has to stay where it is?

Sponsored Links
Both options are going to be pricey- I suspect moving the boiler will be cheaper EXCEPT the flue will have to vent through the ceiling (which might be an issue if there's a habitable room above the garage). Moving the supply is possible but again very expensive- is the consumer unit there as well? If so, that'll be boring to move also. How about having the door to the utility room from the hallway?

I would not term it as expensive, but the work will cost, and if you want to move things around then there is a cost for that. The decision is whether its worth paying for.

As an aside, a new build is likely to have permitted developent rights removed, and it may even have a planning condition preventing garage conversions. So check that out before getting too excited with the proposal.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that :).

There is a bedroom above that area. I thought maybe the flue vent could go sideways through the same wall... But I don't know how these things work so maybe that's not possible?
The consumer unit is there as well, so that and the meter would both need moved. Although hopefully moving the boiler would leave enough space for a door.

There was a condition that we're not allowed to change the front of the house until every house in the development is sold. We're happy to wait for that although several neighbours have already done full conversions and the builder doesn't seem to mind. They even let them use their skips, etc.
At the moment all we're looking to do is a side-door into the garage so AFAIK we wouldn't be changing the use of the garage in any way. Maybe I'm wrong... But our home insurance told us the garage is considered "outside", so a new door into the garage doesn't matter but if we installed a door from the garage to the house it would have to be a secure external fire-door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back