New Bathroom - 1/2" BSP/15mm ballvalve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, brand new here and hoping to get a quick pointer. Although I have read many great bits on here in the past.

I am fitting a new bathroom and the bath has some fancy taps I bought from ebay. The taps consist of quarter turn hot and cold taps connecting to a mixer tap which is supposed to mix the H&C water and divert to either a bath filling spout or a hand held shower head.

So I don't want to use the hand held shower thingy and so have redesigned it a bit. I am missing out the hand held shower and instead using the small 1/2" BSP to 1/2" BSP flexi hoses (about 4" long) to connect the H & C taps to a compression eaual Tee piece, and in turn connecting this to the filling spout with copper and a soldered on tap connector.

I was also going to use long flexi hoses to feed the taps and fit compression ball valves to the H&C supply pipes.

My question then:

Is it OK to use the 1/2" BSP fittings on the flexi hoses (which contain clear plastic/silconey washers) strainght onto the body of compression fittings. If this is OK do I need to wind PTFE tape or use fernox OR does the plasticky washer make the seal?

Any advice gratefully accepted - and I may be back for more help as my project progresses!

One last thing just to clarify the supply is 15mm as the tap tails are and I am using a pumped supply of H & C as the taps are HPressure taps and also I had the pumped feed there already for the shower.

Many thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Your siliconey washers are designed to marry up to a flat face. Compression fittings do not have a flat face.

It might work, but PTFE tape will not seal the joint if it doesn't.

You can get flexis with integral isolating valves.

You are not very likely to encounter any problem connecting
directly on to the compression fitting.
Do not use any PTFE tape on the threads. This will do no
good at all.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys - two of you seem to be saying it will be ok and one of you saying maybe it will be OK, if I understood correctly. Would it help to file the compression fittings and tap tail flat?

Thanks again...

Brain obviously not in gear.
The reason for the chamfer on tap tails is.....so you can make a compression joint using just an olive and capnut. There should be a stop inside the tail about an inch in.

Basic stuff! I;m getting old and 'old-timers' ( a mis-pronunciation by Alf Garnett, I believe) disease is setting in. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back