New bathroom fan placement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help with this situation.

I need to install a bathroom fan because there is not one already fitted. However, there is only one outside wall where i understand it could be fitted. There is a large window in the middle of this wall. To the right of this window is the boiler and to the left of the window is the bath. I dont think it can be placed above the boiler flue because there is only about 750mm space and the wiring would be difficult to channel around the boiler. Cant place it above the window because of the lintel. Only place left is above the bath as close to the ceiling as possible. Would this be ok and pass regs? My concern being water reaching the fan.

I would like to avoid a ceiling mounted fan if possible because it would mean more work in the loft space. Your thought welcome. thanks

Sponsored Links
Can anyone help with this situation.

I need to install a bathroom fan because there is not one already fitted. However, there is only one outside wall where i understand it could be fitted. There is a large window in the middle of this wall. To the right of this window is the boiler and to the left of the window is the bath. I dont think it can be placed above the boiler flue because there is only about 750mm space and the wiring would be difficult to channel around the boiler. Cant place it above the window because of the lintel. Only place left is above the bath as close to the ceiling as possible. Would this be ok and pass regs? My concern being water reaching the fan.

I would like to avoid a ceiling mounted fan if possible because it would mean more work in the loft space. Your thought welcome. thanks

Not an electrician myself, but my guess is that this is covered by Part P so you will need to have it done by someone who can issue the relevent paperwork to your LBC.

Yes indeed, best to use a registered electrician for this.

PS The type of fan will depend on a number of factors. It can go on the wall above the bath but it may need to be a special SELV type (12volt typically).
That's why you need a registered spark..

When you find one he might let you do some of the nasty jobs, like cutting the hole though the wall and doing the scary ladder work...#

Sponsored Links
Thanks for response.

Would it be ok to DIY if i were to install the fan outside zone 2? It would be on another wall.

I have already bought a fan but its not the ELV spec, just a standard bathroom fan. Not a problem to get it exchanged. The fan would be connected to the light switch with an isolator outside the room.

Need more input before i can decide whether to go ahead with the install or find an electrician. thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back