New bathroom installed now strong plastic smell. Please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we had a new bathroom installed two weeks ago. However when we have a hot bath or shower a really strong plastic/rubbery burning type smell appears. This last for a least an hour or two after we have finished using the room. Can someone please help we can't figure out what is causing it or where it's coming from. At first we thought it was just new pipe work fixers fittings etc but it's not fading at all.

Just to add the following

Shower is on the wall into bath shower is also a mixer ran direct from combi boiler no pump or electrics
No electrics in bathroom other than lights and extractor

Happens with the lights on and off
Happens with extractor fan on and off
Happens every time hot water is used in bath
Happens every time hot water is used in shower

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards

Phil

Sponsored Links
The smell happens when the shower has not been used. If you have a bath then you get the same very strong smell plastic burning melting smell. The bath and shower share the same hot and cold feed pipes I presume and the same waste that's all I can think of really. But can't understand why the smell is happening. Never happened in the old bathroom suit.

Very confusing

Sponsored Links
I know this is an old threat but we literally have exactly the same issue. Did you ever get to the bottom of it? The smell for us is only when water is running through the shower or bath. Bath was added on to the existing shower pipework. It actually smells like its coming from the bathroom wall panels. Thanks in advance. Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back