New bathroom: wobbly tiles...wrong fixing adhesive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installed a new bathroom to my Victorian mid-terrace house about 10 months ago. As house leans a little (!), levelled the floor with wedges then laid marine ply. Tiles were put on top with flexible adhesive but now, sadly, all the grouting has cracked and many of the tiles have lifted. I have now been told there should have been some special super flexible adhesive....am just about to think about lifting all the tiles and starting again. Anyone help me with ideas about what I should be using to do the job properly!! Wall tiles are fine, it's the floor ones which are moving. Bathroom gets quite fogged up, and especially this never ending winter....Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
assuming you used a 1 part flexi adhesive then that should have been fine. which addy did you use?

Somewhere there is too much movement for the adhesive to handle. what thickness ply did you use and what the span\size of the joists?

as TPT says, you got too much movement in your floor, when you say you used wedges to level the floor, do you mean you just placed wedges in certain parts then screwed the boards down ? if so you are gonna have gaps and that will lead to movement, you would have been better off checking that the floor was solid with minimal movement, then fixing hardie backerboard with flexi addy and screws.

What adhesive did you use, also what grout did you use and as TPT asked, what was the thickness of the wpb you used.

Being honest with you, if it was me, I would rip the lot up and do it again, but do it properly this time using the correct materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back