New Baxi Condensing Boiler has doubled our gas bills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We expected to at least save a little money when ditching our 15 year old Worcester Combi and replacing with a Baxi Condensing Boiler.
Unfortunately not!!! Kwh consumption has almost doubled.

Is this common or highly unlikely to be the boilers fault. Do I get boiler checked or gas meter checked first.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to get your installer back to check it is all set up correctly first and make sure he gas rates it :rolleyes:

You can't smell gas anywhere can you? :eek:

If it all proves ok you could get the meter checked but they will probably charge you for this then refund it if found to be at fault.

I often find that a customer with a new boiler often takes longer showers and uses his heating more!

Its rare that anyone really gives credible figures based on actual meter readings.

Tony

Sponsored Links
scrufflepeck said:
replace it with a ravenheat on special offer at B+Q......£1200 for a boiler what a bargain.

What was the input/output of your old boiler ?.What is the model output etc of your new boiler.

Best get your installer back to get busy with his flue/gas analyser and of coarse get his counting head on and gas rate it.

jcarr said:
We expected to at least save a little money when ditching our 15 year old Worcester Combi and replacing with a Baxi Condensing Boiler.
Unfortunately not!!! Kwh consumption has almost doubled.

Is this common or highly unlikely to be the boilers fault. Do I get boiler checked or gas meter checked first.
Thanks

Try this :LOL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOCSKoAWPiM

Tell us the make and model of boiler, turn hot taps on full and tell us how much gas your meter says you use in 1 minute, and we'll do the sums for you.
The calorific value is on the gas bill but an average will do.

++++++++++++++
Foolish post (by person using a fake name pretending to be another member) removed

Mod Rupert
++++++++++++++

Thanks for your help. The boiler is a Baxi condensing 105 HE. Calorific value is 40.1091.

Hope I understood your instructions properly. Wasnt sure if you meant full flow or full temperature so went for full flow on normal hot water temperature.
Reading went from 00992354 to 00992400.
I have been monitoring my usage for a while now and running heating for one hour at average temperature uses 1.5 units on metric meter.
If this isnt what you wanted let me know and I will do it again.
thanks
John

Works out at around 29.7 Kw Gross... about right for the boiler. Although the hot water temperature should have been set to maximum and the consumption timed over 2 minutes on this type of meter for more accuracy. You also need to ensure the boiler does not modulate down by keeping the flowrate high.

Have you got the "Instant" version? This will increase gas consumption as it keeps itself hot.

Thank you. I have done as suggested and turned hot water on full temperature for 2 minutes. This gave an increase from 992475 to992566.
I have double checked this as I thought it strange that turning on full seemed to use less units. Surely this is impossible. Beats me completely!!!!
Sorry I cant answer about whether it is Instant or not. My user guide doesnt say anything to that effect.
Many thanks for trying to help me as we have lived here 22 years, are on a tight budget and have never had usage like this before.

29.4 Kw measured this time. Nothing wrong with the boiler.

Are you comparing units used on your gas bills?

Perhaps you have a gas leak on any external gas pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back