New bedroom/ensuite - add on to existing pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to have a forth bedroom added with an ensuite. The house is double fronted. Our boiler is currently in the loft on the one side of the house and the new bedroom will be on the other side of the house to the boiler.
Currently the CH/HW pipes come down directly from the boiler and feed the rads and HW.
Should I add the extra bedroom onto the existing CH circuit? Currently the pipes go from 22mm into 15 mm where there are already 3 rads on the circuit on this side of the house. Do I have to upgrade the pipe work to 22mm right into the new bedroom ( I have heard that you are nly supposed to have 3 rads on a 15mm run of CH pipe) or would it better to run a separate branch straight from the boiler in the loft and drop down into the ensuite/bedroom?

I do plan to get a plumber out to quote for the job so I can ask his view but I have done all my own plumbing in the past and wanted to do this also but just wanted to know what was best practice.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Number of rads on pipe run is meaningless. You need to know their output. 12000 to 14000btus is max heat on 15mm pipe depending on length of pipe run. Come off the 22mm. Will your boiler be powerful enough still to handle extra output?

15mm pipe can carry about 4.25Kw of heat .As you will have 4 rads with the new extension, unless they are all no more than 1KW ( 3142 Bthu ) you will need a 22 mm feed.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Ethelred said:
15mm pipe can carry about 4.25Kw of heat .As you will have 4 rads with the new extension, unless they are all no more than 1KW ( 3142 Bthu ) you will need a 22 mm feed.

Cheers

I think you'll find that 1Kw = 3412 btu

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back