New boarded out loft causing cracks in celling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into my house 4 months ago and have recently boarded out my attic. This involved moving the previous access hatch to a new location. I had to cut a couple of joists to fit the larger ‘drop down stairs’ type opening. I researched how to do this and relatively confident that this has not caused the cracks. Due to the previous owner insulating over the joists I used loft legs to raise the new T&G chipboard flooring above the extra insulation. I think that there may not be enough legs used and the pressure of the weight is not being spread over all the joists however I can’t be sure. Is there any way of finding out?

Would this cause cracks in the celling below. The cracks look like they are following the edges of the plasterboard as forming large rectangles in the celling. With 90degree joins.

To rectify this I plan to remove the legs and nail the boards directly to the joists.

The advice I am after is whether to remove the excess insulation (20cm) or compress it between the joists with the current insulation? – otherwise it will just be binned.

Also is there a chance the reason for the cracks is that there is too much weight in the celling, regardless of legs or not – the joists may not be strong enough to support the weight of the chipboard and stored boxes (nothing extraordinarily heavy)?

Sponsored Links
Most likely excessive weight causing the deflection which in turn causes cracks. Plasterboard ceilings are less forgiving than the traditional lath-and-plaster jobs in this respect.

Don't compress the insulation - that will reduce its effectiveness, and don't nail the boards down - that will make the cracking worse. Screw them instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back