New boiler after 3 years

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was stunned this AM a caller who at first wanted me to come and fix his boiler, cancelled as he had decided to buy a new boiler, as he can get a better flow rate. I asked how old his boiler was, 3 years old. I asid so are you going to buy a new boiler every three years? How much do you think it will cost you to have it installed?

"I have a mate who can do it, but can we ring you if we have any trouble?"

"No I would have to be involved all the way, for instance your new boiler may not be able to go where the old boiler was. I need to come and have a look, but if I come I would probably fix your 3 year old boiler, so don't go and get the new one yet".

"No it's OK mate, I've made my mind up, I'm going to get the new boiler they have them in stock, but can I call you if we have trouble?"

"NO!"

Sponsored Links
In a case like this there should be a penalty charge.

I have visted many installations where the householder has opeted for a cheap job. Things dont work out. You are then invited to fix someone elses bad install. It take a lot longer to iron out problems that are caused by short cuts and shoddy (fast) installation using cheap materials and slack practice.

Yes it's a foregone conclusion that the system is presently in a hell of a state and he is now about to throw more money down the drain. I said to him, "so are you going to buy a new boiler every 3 years?" He just laughed.

So in 3 years time I wander if he will have learned to get a professional in to advise or will he prove the saying that if we learn anything from history it's that we don't learn anything from history.

Things dont work out. You are then invited to fix someone elses bad install. It take a lot longer to iron out problems that are caused by short cuts and shoddy (fast) installation

and don't forget the "HOW MUCH" when you give them the bill :evil: :evil:

Sponsored Links
Fortunately there isn't a snowballs chance in hell of me finding time to sort it out. If I had been able to go to the original break down I would have fixed it. If he still wanted a new boiler I would have booked it for a time when I could do it.

He has missed his opportunity for a window in my diary.. We respond very fast to breakdowns but installations are my last priority, I haven't hardly done one this winter, there have fortunately been sufficient breakdowns.

Sadly I have an installation today, but it is a Buderus so that will be enjoyable. I like doing quality installations.

Only a few days ago I was horrified to get the other side of a story. Some 3 months ago these people with a Vokera Flowmatic asked my opinion about the boiler before selling their house (they didn't tell me but now I learn they had already had one opinion "pile of sh1te you need a new boiler"), anyhow it wasn't great shakes, but after two new diaphragms and a thorough service I had it working right, and I advised them "nobody buys a new boiler just before selling the house, it's true that this is in a bit of a state but it should be alright for a good few years yet, though I can't guarantee it won't break down".

Then two days ago I was called to the house by the new owners for another matter. Noticing the gap where the boiler had been I didn't need to ask they started moaning. "We had a guy look at the boiler before we bought and he said they needed a new boiler, so they got this bloke who just did enough to keep it going for the sale, as soon as we moved in it broke down, so we had to have a new boiler fitted".

I kept my mouth shut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back