New Boiler and CH system: correct by-pass position? Before or After Pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

First message here. I had a new boiler and unvented hot water cylinder replaced yesterday. Same system as the previous.

I have an S plan system with 2 valves (2 way each) for the HW and CH. I attach a diagram.

The guy fitted also an automatic bypass which goes from the Flow (Boiler Outlet) pipe to the return to the boiler. In the diagram it is represented from the blue line. I think the correct position should be the red line.

The T connection in the Flow pipe is before the pump and I think this is wrong. So the idea to bypass the 2 valves when they are closed is wrong because the 'loop' should include the pump as well. In particular because they told me that the pump can do overrun, so (I was told) when the boiler is off, the 2 valves for HW and CH are off, but the pump still runs to dissipate heat....they told me the pump should run for around 5-10 minutes after the boiler is off. However, since the bypass doesn't start from after the pump, when the pump is in overrun, it still pumping water to the 2 closed valves...so the bypass doesn't really work...
Also, today after 30 mins of boiler ON, after switching boiler off, the pump was overrunning for 3 hours...which is different than 10 minutes.

Now, I contacted the guy and is coming tomorrow to have a look. I am not sure to tell him that I think that this configuration is wrong? Don't want to offend anybody, but paid a lot and would like things working okay and to understand them. Also worried that if I use boiler/pump today again I will risk to burning out the pump?

I have no experience with plumbing. I have just spent 10 minutes looking at the connections in the cupboard and this bypass doesn't make any sense to me.

Can please anyone tell me what they think about it? Am i missing something here? Or is it a wrong configuration? How is it possible to make such a clear mistake?

Thanks in advance

MM

Diagram.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm sure mine is plumbed as per the red line. It's after the pump anyway.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys for your replies...

Hope the plumber will fix the issue tomorrow...and will not try to tell me that this is a correct configuration!

I am also worried that the pump is damaging itself or the 2 automated valves (when valves closed and Pump in overrunning)...I have seen a leak right before one of the 2 valves...so probably already damaged the rubber ring...actually surprised that the pump was ON...I mean pumping water towards what....?...

After HW ON this evening, I have switched OFF directly the boiler from its power to stop the pump...and avoid troubles...the system is 1 day old :(

The pump is controlled by a thermostat inside the boiler, as the thermostat (pump over run stat) cant sense the temp drop, it will keep running to attempt to get the heat out of the boiler to protect it, with the existing setup , that cant happen

It wont damage itself when the by-pass is in the correct position as it will pump in a loop around the boiler...

if its leaking then its a plumbing fault. The pump wouldn't cause a leak.

Thanks Guys for your replies...

Hope the plumber will fix the issue tomorrow...and will not try to tell me that this is a correct configuration!

I am also worried that the pump is damaging itself or the 2 automated valves (when valves closed and Pump in overrunning)...I have seen a leak right before one of the 2 valves...so probably already damaged the rubber ring...actually surprised that the pump was ON...I mean pumping water towards what....?...

After HW ON this evening, I have switched OFF directly the boiler from its power to stop the pump...and avoid troubles...the system is 1 day old :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back