New boiler - do these costs sound right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
High house prices are ruining the economy...http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/[/quote] Here, Here ;)

Sponsored Links
AndersonC said:
No, ridiculous that they want 3 blo0dy grand for something which would take them no more than a week's work. I was 'quoted' verbally by someone else "about two-six". Why such a massive variation in price? I know we're not supposed to discuss prices on here but it annoys me to death.
don`t get too annoyed then :eek: .......just get a Polski in :LOL: and don`t buy a Peugeot either...SOLIDARNOSK :LOL: :LOL:

andy.budgell said:
per week:

income tax - £50?
van repayments £50?
fuel - £20?
van insurance £7?
work insurance (incase i burn your house down) £10 ?
advertising £10
mobile phone £10

£20 on van fuel mate??? I'm minimum of £55 p/w and thats if I've no jobs outside of N.London to go to.

£10 a week on phone?? Most of us here are probably on £30-£40 per week!

A GP earns 2 grand a week after 11 years training - and a dumb plumber wants 3 grand a week?? No wonder this country is heading for the knackers yard.

joe

Sponsored Links
A lot depends on type of boiler being used also how big or small your house is. We charge approx £2750 for 7 rads and 28kw combi but there's a lot of things come into working out the right price.

joe 90 you need to reprogramme your glasses no one has said 3000 the op has made an assumption which is wrong
ie he has forgotten certain key ingredients which aid the effectivness and the operation of the appliance like flue,filling loop,abv,insulation,doc,clips,plugs screws etc the list goes on and on as well as knowledge.

andy.budgell

Your overheads are quite low. How do you manage to pay only £50 income tax a week, mobile at £10, and advertisement £10 again.

I think AndersonC should change jobs and then try and earn the figure he is unhappy about.

This kind of attitude is very common. If an installer makes £3000 in one week, he is very unlikely to pull that every week. Who is to say what kind of problems he is going to encounter when he starts the job. A job planned for a week may take considerably longer. Would likes of Mr Anderson then be willing to pay for extra time taken to complete the job? If an installer charges £50.00 per hour does he make £400 for 8 hour day? Some think he does but they do not take into account all the variable that reduce the daily intake.

bripl said:
joe 90 you need to reprogramme your glasses no one has said 3000 the op has made an assumption which is wrong
ie he has forgotten certain key ingredients which aid the effectivness and the operation of the appliance like flue,filling loop,abv,insulation,doc,clips,plugs screws etc the list goes on and on as well as knowledge.

You are talking peanuts. What is the gross profit for the job? Forget transport and tools etc - even a GP has those.

joe

DP said:
andy.budgell

If an installer makes £3000 in one week, he is very unlikely to pull that every week.

But it isn't the customers problem what the plumber is doing next week is it?

What the customer wants is a good job at a fair price and £3K isn't a fair price is it? A heart surgeon earns less.

joe

yep he does

and now a heart surgeon does not earn less, well not now thanks to Mr Blairs cock up with dr's pay :)

The installer tenders a quote and if the householder does not like it, he goes elsewhere.

No one is forcing the householder to accept the £3000 quote.

No wonder I do not install/ replace boilers when those with percieved ideas dictate the price.

Have plenty work repairing botched jobs that cost peanuts to install in the first instance.

Can I suggest you look at an engineers cost over 10 years and then comment on your findings.

Joe, you spout f******* tripe, and your ignorance is laughable.

Go be a hero elsewhere.

And heart surgeons earn less eh? Even if they do, what relevence does this have to this argument?

You strike me as an old man with teenage angst. Play the ruts for an hour....chill....and leave the experts in peace.

David

...plumber wants 3 grand a week??
Including materials, overheads, and wages for the plumber's mate :rolleyes:

No wonder this country is heading for the knackers yard.
Ah, but thanks to the dumb property renovators we'll all be saved!

You are talking peanuts.
Better to talk peanuts than b*llocks.

This kind of attitude is very common. If an installer makes £3000 in one week, he is very unlikely to pull that every week. Who is to say what kind of problems he is going to encounter when he starts the job. A job planned for a week may take considerably longer. Would likes of Mr Anderson then be willing to pay for extra time taken to complete the job? If an installer charges £50.00 per hour does he make £400 for 8 hour day? Some think he does but they do not take into account all the variable that reduce the daily intake

That's a very good point but the only price i'd had up to then was the £2600 - getting another for some £1400 more plus VAT was a shock.

What I am going to do instead is a load of the grafting myself to help reduce the costs - hanging rads, pull the floorboards up, fitting the water pipework in and then get a qualified Corgi guy to gas the boiler up and test the system to ensure that it's OK. Hopefully that will do the trick at a lower price thus enabling me to continue doing the whole house up without having to save up for months. After all, this is a DIY forum :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back