Why do new houses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have storage tanks for hot water? I though this was the old way of doing it? We had our full system replaced 6 years ago, all we had fitted was the boiler and rads, no tanks, I thought this was the new way?

Ta :D

Sponsored Links
It's all about no. Of draw offs (taps/showers) and no. Of people the system is designed to serve

I assume you mean you have a combi. I have a combi cos I live in a 1 bathroom house with just my mrs who knows not to start washing up when I'm in the shower

Alot of new builds will have en-suites so a combi is less practice

cylinders are less energy intense than combis, and allow for retrofitting of solar...

Sponsored Links
So the bigger houses have cylinders? How do these work? Is there a stock of hot water stored at all times? Is this more efficient?

So the bigger houses have cylinders? How do these work? Is there a stock of hot water stored at all times? Is this more efficient?

Yes at set times during the day there is a storage of hot water.
The tank remains hot between these times.
Loses of modern hot water tanks are fairly small and the boilers when heating the tanks are usually working at high efficiency unlike combi
boilers that are often not in condensing mode when supplying hot
water.

Cheers for the replies guys, one last question.

Which would cost more in gas bills

Current house, mid 1900 terrace, 3 bedrooms 1 bathroom, Worcester Bosch condenser, no cavity wall insulation

New house, new build less than 15 years old, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms (shower and bath), boiler unknown but has a tank... insulated cavities

Thanks,

:D

sadly about the same...building standards weren't really tightened until about 2005

Hello, I like lots of showers at various times of the day, what if there is no hot water in the tank will the boiler also heat the water on demand?

:eek:

Also the boiler looked old and looked like it was the original one when the house was built in 1996, if we was to replace the boiler would it just be a simple boiler swap with the rest of the system staying the same?

Ta

If your post is not a wind up then you've either landed from another planet or been living in a cave.

Hello, I like lots of showers at various times of the day, what if there is no hot water in the tank will the boiler also heat the water on demand?

:eek:

Also the boiler looked old and looked like it was the original one when the house was built in 1996, if we was to replace the boiler would it just be a simple boiler swap with the rest of the system staying the same?

Ta

It's a pity that some people can't just answer the question - perhaps it is because they can't.

There are basically three different systems:

1 Hot water storage with a large cold feed tank in the loft [there may be a small tank for the central heating as well]. This is the traditional British system which evolved here gradually over the years. This layout is virtually unknown in the rest of the world.

2 Hot water storage supplied from the cold mains via various safety devices and known as an unvented cylinder. This is widely used here and abroad.

3 A boiler which combines the functions of a central heating boiler and a multipoint instantaneous water heater. These are called combination boiler, or combis for short.

Types 2 and 3 are completely dependant upon the cold water main to supply all taps - hot and cold- which are in use. There are people who like combis, and people who don't. There are also people who are paranoid about them.

If you have a one bathroom house with good dynamic pressure on the cold main, and you like a shower, a good combi boiler with a suitable shower mixer is probably the best for you. You produce hot water as and when you want it, and not at any other time. Get a boiler with built-in weather compensation, and no other controls are needed. Nothing could be simpler, or better.

Thanks for the reply MM

Not sure why you would say that Tibbot?? If I knew the answer why would I post? Why have a forum?

Anyway, we will have 2 bathrooms when we move and 3 bogs so it looks like the best solution to cope with the possible demand would be how it is setup now. I am just paranoid having a combi at the mo that produces HW on demand that my bills will go up. How programmable are the HW settings?

Cheers

Just to clear things up,

We currently have 1 bathroom and a combi

the house we are moving to has 2 bathrooms (3 toilets) and a storage tank

Ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back