New boiler problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my boiler replaced. The old boiler was a Potterton Neataheat e60 the new one is a Intergas Compact HRE 30 OV boiler.
The old system was run by a potterton controller/programer up in the airing cupboard. The installer has managed to initialise the boiler but without the pump running. To get some hot water I have direct wired the pump but the boiler does not take any commands from the cylinder stat, room stat or 3 way diverter valve.
I am planning to do away with the potterton controller and wire all the peripherals directly to the boiler as I see that there is no other solution, unless you know of a better way.

Sponsored Links
How is the boiler being told to fire?

Has he checked the parameters of the boiler and that it knows what version it is?

What terminals has the system control been wired into?

Will have to check if this is relevant to the HRE, but there are two (*edit) green wiring blocks (*edit) inside the control box of the boiler. The one on the left is the low voltage/Bus group. to cater for the Dutch and their funky ways there is a little yellow loop - sometimes this is put on the wrong terminal. this controls a separate hot water set-up that we don't really have over here. Only ever seen it in the wrong place once from memory though.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure! the wiring on the previous boiler leaves quite a bit to desire. All the cable come from upstairs so the electrician use a bit of detection to at least get some power to the boiler. When the previous boiler was installed the electrician only put in a triple and earth when the boiler required a four and earth, a single line was retro-fitted to make up for it but when the boiler was turned off at the boiler the system was still live the only way to be safe was to turn the controller off in the airing cupboard.

There are a couple of linked wires in the X4 section (24v) terminals 6-7 and 9-10 would these have an effect on the operation of the boiler?

Well 6-7 are for the room stat, so if that was linked the boiler would fire all the time.

Not sure that 9-10 should be linked, but memory fails me. Does terminal 1 of the X2 block have anything in it - that is 230V BTW so be careful.

*edit... 9-10 should be linked.

What worries me is that the electrician has pumped 230 volts into X4 and killed your PCB.

Is the boiler actually working, or are you getting HW form the immersion?

Hi Dan
The boiler is definitely heating the water and all electrical connections are in the 230v side, the two linked cables in the 24v side were factory fitted.
The boiler has been connected via the old controller because that is where the connections from the room stat, cylinder stat, diverter valve and pump were fitted.
What I intend to do is pick up the peripheral connections and transfer them to the boiler using the old controller unit as a choc bloc / connector removing the control pad connecting pins.

Regards

Colin

hhhmmm... sounds like an error on the the external controls. I will confess to not being 100% on the HRE wiring - I always considered the internal clock a bit of a silly idea. Is that set to contstant?

Follow the installation instruction on page 33 get into the installer program and make sure the Parameter 2 is set to type 3. You might have to change this when you wire straight to boiler later though.

I am still interested to know how the boiler knows to fire?

This all seems a little odd!

You have a quite good boiler which has a five year warrantee when installed by a platinum rated installer. Is yours?

The installer seems to have walked away leaving the boiler not properly commissioned.

Then an electrician seems to have been round but with little understanding of boilers!

Now you seem to have taken over from all of them. Its not clear if your boiler is working or has been damaged by applying 230v to a 24v connection!

Tony Glazier

The boiler has definitely not been wired to the 24v side. This is the first boiler fit for a newly gas safe registered plumber.
Ok can we start again.
How would any of you who are far more experienced in fitting boilers go about wiring a Potterton controller to the Intergas Compact HRE 30 ov?

There is a total of four wires plus earth coming from the controller to the boiler. Two of the wires are feeding the power to the boiler the others will need to be the switch lines to the room stat, cylinder stat, motor valve. The pump is only a short distance from the Potterton controller but would need a switch line to make it run when demanded by any of the thermostats.
Is there a wiring diagram that would show the correct wiring. I have all the Potterton diagrams and the Intergas diagram, what I require is a diagram to wire these together to allow the controller on the boiler to communicate with the Potterton controller.
I do apologise if my terminology is not correct I'm neither a plumber or an electrician I am trying to get the information to give to them to speed up their work.
Many thanks for your help

Regards

Colin

The installer has managed to initialise the boiler but without the pump running. To get some hot water I have direct wired the pump
Both the Netaheat and the Intergas have the pump wired directly to the boiler. So there should be at least five wires going to the boiler: Power (L, N and E), Switched live, Pump live. The pump N and E connections may be made local to the pump.

Are all the connections to the thermostats and motorized valve made via the Potterton controller?

PS If you are thinking of doing away with the Potterton controller, you might as well do it now and solve all problems at the same time. What were you thinking of buying to replace the Potterton?

Looking at the manual.
Although it isn't really clearly said.

Connector X2 pin 1 is switched live to turn
the boiler on 240v.

Pin 2 is live
Pin 4 is neutral

Pin 3 is live(fused) ???? what?

So S or Y plan connection is pin 1.

7 (live) and 8 (neutral) is the external pump connector

Personally I would have installed a system boiler with integrated timer.
Job done and a lot less messing.

little mention of the elusive installer, sure it wasnt a diy job?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back