New boiler questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have moved in to my partners house. Been together 8 years. In that time she hasn't serviced the boiler(Baxi DuoTec). Or cleaned it/ added inhibitor. Boiler is approx 12 years old. She uses log burner for heat, which is lovely in the living room, not much good for rest of house
It hasn't worked for 3 years for heating. Or rather she doesn't turn it on as it leaks from the bottom of the boiler. Radiators cold at bottom.

I have suggested that I will buy a new boiler. A couple of things worry me. Will the lack of cleaning/ inhibitor for so long have damaged the system. Was thinking of Intergas boiler, but live in a hard water area, and have read on here they are not so good in hard water areas.

Is there anything I should get done before having new boiler installed? Powerflush?

I have lived in council flat and have never had to worry about this kind of thing.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
duotec is one of best boiler out there will last 20 years easily get someone in to look at it they are a doddle to fix . And system may not need powerflush just balanced

OK thanks. I may have been swayed by reading too much about opentherm and modulating boilers etc.

Regarding repair. If I call Baxi , will they just fix the boiler? Will they check the whole system? Or would I need to call someone else for that?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, and would the repair include servicing? If that makes sense?
You can phone them and ask them to put you on maintainance contract . Or ask neighbours or family if they recommend someone

OK thanks. I may have been swayed by reading too much about opentherm and modulating boilers etc
Yes it’s easy to get carried away with all that stuff.

A new boiler is going to cost quite a bit, you would probably be better off repairing the boiler and concentrating on making the house more energy efficient starting with eliminating draughts, improving radiator balancing and tweaking room stat and programmer settings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back