Cleaning after boiler replacement & new pump required ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I previously made a post about having to replace a broken boiler but I now have a different question.

I was going to be replacing all but two of my old radiators & seeing as the old boiler has gone kaput, I thought it prudent to do this at the same time as the boiler. The thing is, would the system still benefit from one of the power flushes, or would a quick flush through with clean water suffice, seeing as there are only two existing radiators left, that have only been in the system for under two years.

The guy that is doing the boiler fit for me hasn't got the gear for a powerflush, he usually subbies it out & if can get way with paying another £300 or so, I would like to be able to.

I have already removed the older radiators, ready for the new ones to be fitted once I get them this weekend. The system was filled with inhibitor as well.

I have seen posts referring to x400, would it be a good idea to run this through the new set-up forra few weeks, then drain and refill with clean water + inhibitor ?

Finally, the lad who is going to fit the new boiler for me suggested that this old pump :-

pump.jpg

be replaced. He was quite surprised that it was still working as the system is nearly 20 years old & he told me that these pumps were notoriously unreliable. I'm a fan of the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" adage, so is this an unnecessary expense ? If not, what would be a good replacement ? Don't worry about the wiring btw, it's been sorted, thanks to the guys on the Electrics section :eek:

Thanks as always.

Sponsored Links
If you are so keen on saving money then I am surpriswed that you are even bothering to change the boiler.

A boiler installer without a power flushing pump??? Is he a DIYer?

The wiring on your old pump looks rather dangerous!!!

Tony

If you are so keen on saving money then I am surpriswed that you are even bothering to change the boiler.

No choice on that one Tony, seeing as the old one is exactly that - OLD :LOL: I can't see being able to source parts forra 20-odd year old boiler.

A boiler installer without a power flushing pump??? Is he a DIYer?

All I know is that he runs his own company, is CORGI registered and is constantly busy with work :rolleyes: He just told me that it works better for him to subbie the flushing out. I know he does a lot of his work on new builds, so maybe that is why ?

The wiring on your old pump looks rather dangerous!!!

Couldn't agree with you more on that one. I've been posting quite a lot on the electrics forum because of the rubbish I've found in my house. I get the feeling that the original homeowner was a diy'er & not particularly good at it either

Without details on your current boiler and on your new boiler its difficult for me to give you much advice.

I would need exact models not just "Potterton"!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
Without details on your current boiler and on your new boiler its difficult for me to give you much advice. I would need exact models not just "Potterton"!

Sorry Tony, I'm always amazed how many people come on here asking for advice and don't give any details. Now I'm doing it myself :oops: :eek:

The old boiler that tried to flood my back bedroom :rolleyes: is a Myson Economiser WM 30/40 BF. There was an install cert. in the bottom of the boiler with a date of 11/06/87, so 21 years old then !!

The boiler I have coming on Monday to replace it is an Ideal Optia HE12 FF. ( as suggested by yourself - thanks btw ) I admit I can be a bit tight at times ( what comes of being a Yorkshireman :LOL: ) but I suppose that a 20 year old pump on a Brand New boiler is a bit stupid, ( lot stupid prolly :rolleyes: ) so any advice you can furnish would be gratefully accepted.

As I said before, there are going to be two rad's left in the system that are no more than a year to a year and a half old ( I will remove them and give them a good flush out ) but all the others are going to be brand new.

One last thing, Does the condensate drain have to go directly into the drains, or could I hook-up a strap boss to allow it to go into my Roof Fall-Pipe, which goes straight into the drains in the back yard ?

Thanks Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back