Boiler kaput-how to clean system before replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello , how can pipework be best cleaned without a boiler in place?

The old cast iron Potterton, out of commission, has been taken down. naturally I'd like to clean the old system before fitting a quality new combi boiler. ;)

I've had radiators removed and well-flushed upside down in the garden, and will consider replacing them; I've yet to have them re-hung. The crud in the radiators didn't seem too bad - the old system had been kept clean , with inhibitors annually.

I don't want to replace all the piping too. :cry: I am sure there is some black corrosion on the internals of pipe, again not too bad it seems, by inspection, where exposed feed and return to boiler were cut back to re-route to resite boiler.

Your knowledge on this appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you have flushed all the radiators your job is done.
A quick fill and drain should do enough to clean anything else out
the worst is always hanging around in the bottom of the radiators.

Excellent, just as I hoped :!: thanks. I feel kind of clean, but you wouldn't think so to see my dusty cap.

If I felt like it, how could I best fill with some nasty chemical, and flush, without the boiler in place. I have the old pump I could rig up... the feed and return to boiler goes to the loft, next to old header tank for old un-vented system, so I could fill from that, and pump back into it, perhaps... :mrgreen:

It's warm now, I have a wood stove anyway, no rush... what do you say? TOO perfectionist? :rolleyes:

Excellent, just as I hoped :!: thanks. I feel kind of clean, but you wouldn't think so to see my dusty cap.

If I felt like it, how could I best fill with some nasty chemical, and flush, without the boiler in place. I have the old pump I could rig up... the feed and return to boiler goes to the loft, next to old header tank for old un-vented system, so I could fill from that, and pump back into it, perhaps... :mrgreen:

It's warm now, I have a wood stove anyway, no rush... what do you say? TOO perfectionist? :rolleyes:

Cap off the header tank as it is no longer necessary and can be removed.
Connect a drain cock to the flow pipe and a drain cock to the return.
Attach hose to both and connect one hose to the outside tap.
Attach all the radiators and close all the valves. On the furthest radiator open up both valves. Let the mains pressure fly through.
(This was possible one radiator at a time without removing the radiators and does a reasonable job too, far less tiring on the back!)

Sponsored Links
your installer will probably want to carry out his own flush anyway to confirm things are correct and done properly, why not leave him to it.

Connect a drain cock to the flow pipe and a drain cock to the return.
Attach hose to both and connect one hose to the outside tap.

...neat yes Dcalkwell. So, it seems you don't see point for chemical to scour the pipes so they shine?

(This was possible one radiator at a time without removing the radiators and does a reasonable job too, far less tiring on the back!)

Yes that's good; my back complained, it wasn't the lifting so much as the sustained stooping, I think....

your installer will probably want to carry out his own flush anyway to confirm things are correct and done properly, why not leave him to it.

True, and he will, and (he will be a he, I reckon). I might just do that, I wanted you advice for the sake of my specification... when I meet him.

I called a plumber for an appointment and discussed the thing last week...but he wasn't a so good a consultant or collaborator when he arrived, after first forgetting the appointment we made. Problem is I look so rough in this dump which I'm camped in. Maybe some people in clean corgi jumpers don't like that. My beard looks dangerous, and my hair looks crazy :evil:, what can you expect?

Either that, or he didn't want to install in the loft, but found it hard to tell me to my dirty face. I want to call a bloke, make a deal - but I don't think he'll ring me back with a quote. Oh the time that's wasted ....whilst I miss my children[/color]

Cheers, all the best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back