new boiler quote

You shoulda got the rip snorter out and fixed his oak floors while you repiped his gas and took great delight in telling him it should all go back down fine :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
There is no such thing as a bargain. Things cost money and tradesmen have to make (in the main) an honest living. We are not as many seem to think, making 100K+ a year. You usually get what you pay for and the sooner people realise that (should say re learn that) the better.

Milo, you haven't a clue. Perhaps you sell something simple.

Quotes aren't free for the provider, they take time and effort. We soon learn which people aren't worth the investment. People who treat their heating system as a simple commodity and don't want to ask a stack of questions (without other quoters being present :rolleyes: ) are a waste of time.

So all my years of training and working in the pest control industry is wrong and pest control diy expert is correct.

Milo19 is a pest controller !

So he thinks is is controlling "pests" when he calls all these workmen together whenever he wants to get something done.

I can imagine he is calling perhaps 10 people and thus wasting the time of the other 9 as only one will ever get the job!

Perhaps its really Milo who is the pest ?

Sponsored Links
You shoulda got the rip snorter out and fixed his oak floors while you repiped his gas and took great delight in telling him it should all go back down fine :LOL: :LOL:

Ha!..Oddly enough, I did mention that I had a chainsaw in the garage... I also mentioned that it wold be best for him to contact his original installer... :LOL:

Corgigrouch said:
I'd tell you to get screwed.....The world can do without little hitlers who think that they are important, who know the lowest price of everything but not the value of good service

I certainly do not think Im important, nor am I a little Hitler. I don't know that best price on everything, but I want the best price for the work.

Milo, you haven't a clue. Perhaps you sell something simple.

Quotes aren't free for the provider, they take time and effort. We soon learn which people aren't worth the investment.

I am quite aware quotes aren't free, but if people would like to quote for any work I would like done, then they show up.

Agile said:
Milo19 is a pest controller !

Not sure what that has to do with anything but yes I do. I quote to undertake bird proofing solutions to tall office blocks and protected/listed buildings. So I know full well that quoting for some companies/people is a waste of time, unfortunately, its come with the territory!

I cannot believe you people are sat there attacking me for saying what everyone on planet does. I will not believe that anyone of you have got more than one quote when you've required work to be done.

I only get these people together because I have limited time. So, call me Hilter, call me anything you like, but remember that when you next require work done at your place.

If you don't like the way I do it fine, don't attack me for it.

I am sorry if you dont like it but its one of my pet hates that there are some people who have absolutely no regard for wasting other peoples time.

I have learnt by my experience in the heating industry that there are many people who call in experts to quote with a sole intention of gathering ideas and getting a free specification. They then either do it themselves or get cheap unregistered East Europeans to do the work.

Thatas why I no longer make free visits to quote, instead I give budgetary quotes over the phone. If thats acceptable then I visit to confirm. Many others waste half a day a week just giving quotes. One of my ex trainees says he used to win about half of the jobs but now in the recession its down below 25%.

Tony

I have learnt by my experience in the heating industry that there are many people who call in experts to quote with a sole intention of gathering ideas and getting a free specification. They then either do it themselves or get cheap unregistered East Europeans to do the work.

Well I am not one of those people. When I request someone to come in, one of those people will get the work. Normally, one of the older, wiser chaps.

If I knew how to do all this work in the first place, I'd do it myself. I certainly wouldn't have people come in to give me quotes and then attempt to do it myself to save myself a few quid.

As for the Eastern Europeans........NO!

wow... looks like i opened up a hornets nest here.....:)

The apollo is an old boy, boils up like a kettle....tends to overheat frequently.
So i think i would prefer a new boiler, and a combi would better suit our needs i think.

I think I may get another quote just to compare, i am in the cambs area...any reccomendations guys/girls?

Of course, what i do, because i don't want people in and out all the time is arrange a time with everyone to show up at the same time, look at the job, ask any questions etc and provide me with a price.

If people are late, don't bother etc....they don't get a look in.
Be up front with them, and they'll be up font with you.
Exactly the same procedure I used when I was the IT manager of a sixth form college.

When I started the job, the whole place needed rewiring with new equipment racks etc. So we contacted several companies to see if they were interested in quoting and then arranged a mutually convenient day for them to attend.

At the meeting we provided them with a written spec of what was required. They then took a tour of the building so they could see what was required and ask any questions about access, cable routes etc. We also asked them questions about their experience etc.

When the quotes were in, they were considered and the best one (not the cheapest) got the job.

Unfortunately so many self-employed tradesmen do not like the idea of competing with others for work; they think that they should just be given the job. They forget that, if they do a good job the first time and the client is pleased with the work and price, they will probably have that client for life.

wow... looks like i opened up a hornets nest here.....:)

The apollo is an old boy, boils up like a kettle....tends to overheat frequently.
So i think i would prefer a new boiler, and a combi would better suit our needs i think.

I think I may get another quote just to compare, i am in the cambs area...any reccomendations guys/girls?

My Apollo 30/50B is 22 years old and still giving stirling sevice and Im keeping it. My advice is get yours fixed. Read this extract from the Sunday Telegraph 14 Feb
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property...uld-I-replace-my-ageing-Potterton-boiler.html

My Apollo 30/50B is 22 years old and still giving stirling sevice and Im keeping it. My advice is get yours fixed. Read this extract from the Sunday Telegraph 14 Feb
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property...place-my-ageing-Potterton-boiler.html[/QUOTE]
I agree. Replacing a boiler before it has expired or is uneconomic to repair is a waste of money.

I was told by the surveyor when I bought my house, just over four years ago, that my Apollo Fanfare needed to be replaced asap as parts were no longer available so it would be impossible to repair. Apart from replacing the overrun stat three years ago, there's nothing wrong with it. I asked the engineer who serviced it last year for his opinion and he told me to keep it until it packs up. Which is what I am doing.

Where does Jeff Howell (see the Sunday Telegraph link) get the idea that a replacement boiler will cost £5-6k. Even BG and the other gas suppliers shouldn't be that expensive. :eek: :LOL:

Two years ago my neighbour replaced his identical boiler to mine, for no better reason than he just wanted the latest technology. His displaced boiler is now in my garage attic as a back up.
I agree 4/5 K is steep. Ballpark 2K for installation would still take 20 years to recover your investment, not including lost interest. But before that event its a good bet you would have to replace again, probably more than once. Thats after paying some horrendous repair bills for these electronically, very sophisticated boilers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back