New boiler, radiator expanding under pressure?

Tonyboy think it helps all our work is from recommendation and customers know we are not trying to take the P

I never take the P mate,well hardly ever.

Doesn't stop the odd dodgy punter trying to eff me over though.

I blame those bliddy TV programmes for most of it :cry:

Sponsored Links
Yep telle has lot to answer for and was not meaning or implying you take P tony but telle has got people thinking that that is the norm

Been making funny banging noises for days (possible welds going) .

Errrr, no. What he/she said was this;

"I guess the welds going must be the banging noises that were happening overnight waking everyone up"
It made funny banging noises in the night, when the mains water pressure is highest.

The OP probably looked in the daylight, when the pressure was lower. The radiator was still inflated like a tin Zeppelin then because the spot welds had failed.

Needle on grey but then way past the red. But still only dripping
SO PRV not working properly so boiler manufacturer fault. SIMPLE

PRV not now working properly because it's probably full of crud. See Simond's post above; he has " ... seen this a few times, usually on a Potterton Puma where the expansion relief is blocked."

The PRVs are probably from the same manufacturer.

Its a brand NEW boiler Which would have been flushed , that you seem to think has been over pressured from day one so if PRV was running CRUD would not have a chance to have built up or solidified to stop PRV discharging properly.

It does not matter if pressure was higher at night, PRV on brand NEW boiler should still have opened ASSUMING the filling loop had be previously left open

Sponsored Links
Its a brand NEW boiler Which would have been flushed , that you seem to think has been over pressured from day one so if PRV was running CRUD would not have a chance to have built up or solidified to stop PRV discharging properly.

It is a new boiler and the existing system should have been flushed. Was it? You seem to be making assumptions.

Even if it was power flushed, this does not remove all the sludge.

It does not matter if pressure was higher at night, PRV on brand NEW boiler should still have opened ASSUMING the filling loop had be previously left open

The PRV should have opened, and it did. To prevent the boiler being overpressurized, it would need to discharge the all the water entering at 3 bar or whatever. The Vaillant figures only give the maximum working pressure, they don't specify the higher test pressure.

The PRV is not sized to discharge mains water when numpty boy leaves the filling loop open. We don't know the mains pressure and do not know what pressure the boiler has been subjected to.

We have all heard PRVS opening on excess pressure they sound like a machine gun going off and this is on just about every boiler even Vaillants and certainly gets peoples attention.
Now rads are tested to 7/8 bar if the rad was not faulty and it was due to boiler being over pressurized . The boiler would have been horrendously noisy and there would be leaks everywhere on it which there clearly isn`t and none of the other rads have gone so this would indicate ONE rad has never been welded up properly from day one

We have all heard PRVS opening on excess pressure they sound like a machine gun going off

I have and they don't. Why would they sound like a machine gun?

Now rads are tested to 7/8 bar if the rad was not faulty and it was due to boiler being over pressurized . The boiler would have been horrendously noisy and there would be leaks everywhere on it which there clearly isn`t and none of the other rads have gone so this would indicate ONE rad has never been welded up properly from day one

It was a 30/35 year old radiator. You don't know what pressure it was tested to when new. It may have deteriorated but it was still useable.

We don't know what might have happened to the boiler.

So what might have happened? How do you know that the heat exchangers haven't distorted, like the radiator? The secondary PHX is brazed construction, so not likely to spring a leak. The flue ways on the primary HE might be crushed.

But you don't know that and neither do I. Ask Vaillant, they'd know what to look for. Get a Vaillant approved service technician to examine it.

That's exactly what they sound like,a machine gun going off!

Pretty frightening too,I suspect, if your an eighty year old who has only ever had a conventional system and you manage to feck up filling up the system pressure.

I've been on the receiving end of a phone call from said typical octogenarian during such a scenario and I sh!t myself listening to it over the dog :LOL:

Its a faulty Radiator. And possibly a faulty prv. The Prv should open at 3 Bar pressure. If it did not than its faulty. The flow rate is irrelevant, when it gets to 3 Bar it should open, thats what its there for. Because its a sealed system if there is any pressure increases it releases the extra pressure.

The flow rate is irrelevant, when it gets to 3 Bar it should open, thats what its there for. Because its a sealed system if there is any pressure increases it releases the extra pressure.

The flow rate is irrelevant?
You might think so.
So you think you could put a 1/2" PRV on a 1,250 kW boiler?
You'd think that would be OK because you think the flow rate is irrelevant?. Go figure.
You're wrong.

It's a sealed system?
It isn't when connnected to the water mains.

Pathetic.

Its a faulty Radiator. And possibly a faulty prv. The Prv should open at 3 Bar pressure. If it did not than its faulty. The flow rate is irrelevant, when it gets to 3 Bar it should open, thats what its there for. Because its a sealed system if there is any pressure increases it releases the extra pressure.

I agree its a faulty radiator!

However I have seen two EXVs crack open on new boilers after the filling valve had been left open.

The senario was that the PRV could not let out enough flow to prevent the system pressurising to about 6 Bar at which the EXV will open up at the seams.

In neither case was any radiator damaged though!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back