Radiators not radiating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a semi detached house with a newish Worcester CDi boiler. When we moved to this house we had it installed and new radiators. When the plumber fitted the radiators they looked on the small side but the guy said they were the right size for the rooms. When the boiler is on the radiators get hot to touch but if you stand next to them you cant even tell they are on, they dont seem to emit much heat. I have been to other houses and stood next to radiators and they give off loads of heat. Could we have been sold cheap and nasty radiators or do we have another problem.

Sponsored Links
Are you warm enough? Radiators are designed to provide convected air currents that circulate the room and warm it that way.If the answer is yes then there is no sizing problem.Don't expect to stand next to a modern rad and feel a lot of radiated heat.It a misnomer the same as a boiler as it is not designed to boil the water.You don't mention that the rooms are not heating up?

Radiators are really ill named because they transfer heat by convection and not by radiation.

I mean no-one rubs there hands together as they hold them a few inches away from a radiator saying "You can really feel the heat coming from this radiator", they just don't wiork that way.

Having said that if the radiators are hot and the room temperature is cold then there is a good chance that they are undersized.

Sponsored Links
Use Stelrad Elite Catalogue to find the total kW output of your rads. Use the nearest size if necessary.

Then use Boiler Size Calculator to find what size boiler you need.

If you have a combi boiler it will be much bigger than the calculator says, but that's not important.

Then post the results from both calculations.

Thanks, I now understand that the radiators are probably fine and doing the job. I have tried the calculators and we dont need any bigger radiators, they just look small but what do I know!

Thanks, I now understand that the radiators are probably fine and doing the job. I have tried the calculators and we dont need any bigger radiators, they just look small but what do I know!

Put a jumper on? :D

Sorry, it made me laugh.

Anyway have you checked the loft insulation? The current regs are 270mm, I have just done mine to 300mm and it has made a huge difference.

Andy

Put a jumper on? :D

Sorry, it made me laugh.

Anyway have you checked the loft insulation? The current regs are 270mm, I have just done mine to 300mm and it has made a huge difference.

Andy

Yes, the council came and did it all for free last year. My problem is the wall insulation. You can tell its been done before, but I think its been in for many years. Even with the insulation the walls get ice cold and when the heating goes off the house is cold within minutes. I got the wall insulation guys to have a look at it as I think the insulation has settled, they said if its already been done then it cant be done again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back