radiators not hot enough !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All the radiators in my house never seem to give much heat out . l have bled the radiators quite often as air is always in the bathroom and one bedroom radiator but no other ones seem to get air in them.Even when l release the air out these two radiators the radiators around the house are not all the hot, you can stand near them and dont feel the heat coming off them. The boiler is only 2 years and working fine as we get hot water no problem.So what can l do to get maximum performance out of my radiators.... :( The boiler is doing overtime to try and keep the house warm with no effect :(

Sponsored Links
Single in bedrooms and doubles in bathroom ,hall, and dining room. Is the Boiler thermostat the dial which l have in my hallway if it is it's set at 30. :rolleyes:

Is the boiler thermostat turned up?

Are the radiators balanced?

Is the pump on the correct speed?

If only the heating is selected on the timeclock does the cylinder pipework heat up ie is the cylinder motorised valve letting by?

Sponsored Links
You say the boiler is doing overtime, which I take to mean that it's burning all the time. So either it's just too small, or its efficiency is low. It would be useful to know the boiler rating, and the size/type of house. What is the actual temperature in the house, and what temperature is the boiler set at ?

You say the boiler is doing overtime, which I take to mean that it's burning all the time. So either it's just too small, or its efficiency is low. It would be useful to know the boiler rating, and the size/type of house. What is the actual temperature in the house, and what temperature is the boiler set at ?
Yes it's burning most of the time. l have a semi 3 bedroom house .The boiler is a baxi solo pfl 40 and the thermostat control is set at 3 from 6.

could do with some help here folks my house is freezing :cry:

How old is the boiler? I can only assume that its installed correctly.
l did say it was about 2 years old l'm wrong. Now when l think about it l have had the boiler 6 years and yes it was installed by a heating engineer. The boiler works fine ..hot water but heating through the rads are unless. :confused:

some of the older baxi solo's had to have a monster by-pass installed to avoid nuisance lock out. If its an auto by-pass, could be stuck fully open or needs setting up.
Or its a manual valve thats left wide open, in which case fit an auto by pass.
What sort of pump/ MVvalves/trv arrangement do you have.?
What speed is the pump on?
Is the boiler growling/kettling noises

your boiler may be under gassed, try turning hot water off, then turn rads off one at a time and see if others get hot. if the others get nice and hot you'll need an engineer to check gas supply/valve.

"Yes it's burning most of the time. l have a semi 3 bedroom house .The boiler is a baxi solo pfl 40 and the thermostat control is set at 3 from 6."
You need to set this dial at max, then use your room stat at about 20 to 23 depending on which rads you have.[/quote]

You need to set this dial at max, then use your room stat at about 20 to 23 depending on which rads you have.[/quote]
..........................................................................................................

Will setting the boiler thermostat to max and room stat to 20/23 improve the radiator heating.. and why :confused: . At the moment the boiler thermostat is set 3 from 6 and the room stat in the hall is on max 30 :confused: . Also would putting rad inhibitor and draining the radiators improve the system, l dont know what to do for the best all l know is the house is cold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back