New Boiler Recommendations

daves a bloody scientist,hes an absolute genius. but u could be right in that he sub contracts his services. best engineer ive ever come across by a long way.

Sponsored Links
On Baxi (Potterton) - I've been calling their technical help line for three days now, at various times of day. It has been engaged every time, I haven't even got into the 20 minute queue. That isn't acceptable.

In the past when I've got someone at Baxi though, they have been helpful enough. Ideal, on the other hand, have been obdurate. Most times I have had a question not addressed in the manual, and been informed that if it isn't in the manual the information is not published (which was the reason why I rang...) or that I can't do what I want with their boiler - because it doesn't say I can, in the manual. On the one occasion I said I would complain to the MD about their service I was eventually put through to someone who understood the question, but whose answer was along the lines that I should't have been asking the question because boilers shouldn't be used that way.

On the one occasion I asked Viessman about a boiler, the rrp was in line with the competition but they could not help me find a retailer who would give a normal discount, or held stock of the fairly ordinary model I needed. In my view that's incompetence. We are all impressed by big lumps of stainless steel, but I have to wonder how many orther areas, among design, manufacture, backup, spares distribution and the rest, are managed comparably badly.

Went to a 2 year old WB Greenstar 25HE today, displaying a "fault code" approximately thus
-| |-
which isn't in the manual. It had been dribbling, so I went for the siphon etc.
Looking in the manual which came with the boiler, (not a later version)
"Remove yellow cap" it says. But there isn't a cap of any colour.
"Unscrew hose connection". But nothing is there to unscrew.
The condensate trap was blocked with the usual powdered heat exhanger aluminium, so water had run across the inside of the boiler to leak out wherever it found most convenient, in this case over the pcb connector.

We are surrounded by idiots and their junk!

Yep, I don't care what anyone says about these boilers with aluminium heat exchangers - I have no confidence in them. Even if the condensing boilers on the continent have been using them with no problems for 30 years or something, they don't seem to work on UK spec boilers.

I've also had problems sourcing Viessman boilers. Even having tracked down the guy who says that he's the sole merchant in my area for them, getting a price off of him for a standard model (eg Vitodens 100) is impossible. I imagine that if I were to get a price, then actually getting hold of one of the boilers would be harder still...

They may be wonderful boilers but if you cannot buy them then they are a waste of time.

I have been trying for three years to get on their course! Even haranging their reps at the exhibitions but all to no avail.

Apart from having a new 40kW in our store, they might as well not exist!

Ever considered what would happen if you fitted one an dneeded a spare part ???

Tony

Sponsored Links
Aco person the problem is not the material just the manufacture, what makes you think you can trust them now, just because they have turned to SS?

Agile, go to the Viessmann web site, click on the installer network at the top, then click on the UK Training Acadamy in the left column, click on a course title, then click on request reservations for this course, I have said before if you want a Viessmann boiler contact me I will get you one next day.

Well I appreciate your help, but I have twice filled in their application for training at the exhibitions, spoken three times to their reps who have taken all my details.

Result? Zilch!

I called once and they said they could find no details of my application, refused to take details on the phone and asked me to write a letter.

Also someone told me that Fritz had had a haircut and then left to become an "independent advisor".

I can only assume that they are in some disarray.

Merchants tell me that they would stock their products if there was a demand! Chicken and egg?

Tony

I had to stock my merchants with a pallet load of Buderus boilers at my expense to get them to listen. They now hold one of each at their expense and have made pathways to get then within a day or two, they also stock all flue configurations and moduregs. A few other fitters have discovered what agreat boiler it is as a result.

The merchants who don't listen to us loose our business. That's up to them if they want to be stupid.

Paul, I'm not sure what you mean by it being the manufacture of Aluminium h/e's which is the problem.

I am always very impressed by the construction of Boulter boilers at shows etc, they look very easy to work on, and I would rather put one in than a Worcester Junior for example. However, why should I believe that in 5-8 years that te h/e's will not be the same as the 2 older condensing boilers a week I visit on average with EXTERNALLY scaled & corroded heat exchangers, or condensate siphons full of aluminium residue?

It will take a lot to make the installers who are familiar with the older condensing boilers with alu h/e's to start using them.

Sorry you've got me wrong I'm a Boulkter man through and through, I mean the less able manufacturers can't manage to get a good steaming heat ex made out of ally, I never said Boulter can't do it. I was infering that they can, but not being explicit because people will get sick of me banging on about Boulter all the time so I use veiled comments. But since you brought it up they are the best made boilers in the world and a doddle to service. I LOVE THEM!

And you think that in 5-8 years time the heat excahngers will still be OK with average servicing (ie not all boilers are PROPERLY serviced each year)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back