New Boiler To Replace Potterton Netaheat - Where To Start ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our current boiler is on its way out after years of service, it's been "kettling" for the past few years and we were told around three years ago that it would probably only last a few more years.

Reading a few forum posts it seems that Vaillant and Viessman are acknowledged as leading brands but apart from that I am lost as to which model in their ranges would suit our needs.

Our current system is a Potterton Netaheat boiler providing hot water to a large lagged hot water tank and also providing the central heating. I think that it would be better to get rid of the hot water tank and just have a Combi boiler providing everything, however after that point I am in a fog.

Would anyone please be able to advise me which model Combi boiler in the Vaillant or Viessman range would be a good quality replacement for our current Potterton Netaheat model (Profile 80 ?). The boiler needs to be capable of comfortably supplying an old 4 bedroomed house with high ceilings if that is relevant re output power?

Finally, if anyone has some positive first hand experience from having a boiler installed in the Croydon, Surrey area I would be grateful for some details.

Rgds
Jack

Sponsored Links
How many bathrooms/showers?

Suggest doing a proper heat loss calc on the building also, although some people seem content on the whole house method.

just cos its kettling doesnt mean it needs replacing. if you really that bothered run some cleaner through it and then chuck some X200 in it, but kettling in this type of boiler really isnt that much of a deal.

just cos its kettling doesnt mean it needs replacing. if you really that bothered run some cleaner through it and then chuck some X200 in it, but kettling in this type of boiler really isnt that much of a deal.

It had cleaner through it about 3 years ago and the inhibitor put in it then. Would you happen to know what the expected lifespan is of the Potterton I have?

Currently it has stopped working and is due the engineer tomorrow, dont know why it stopped, I think it might have overheated and auto shut down. The radial dial for the output ranging from 1 to 5 then...MAX creeps round to MAX, we normally have it on 3 but it creeps itself, then if we forget about it for a prolonged period and it is on MAX it shuts down, happened before.

It's just that it's an old boiler, kettling and other noises and not inspiring confidence as to its longeivity that has me thinking of replacing it rather than getting caught when it finally definitely gives up the ghost.

Thx for your reply and the reassurance about the kettling not being a big deal.

Rgds
Jack

Sponsored Links
Would you happen to know what the expected lifespan is of the Potterton I have?
well put it this way, I'd happily have a few bob on that your current boiler could out last one you replace it with. Still service quite a few netaheat electronics, they just keep going if they're looked after.

You seem to want a forum to choose a boiler for you.

A good engineer who can come and see your property, ask you a few lifestyle questions, is in a far better position to advise you.

But of course they will have a vested interest in quoting for the most profitable solution.

Thats why PAYING an engineer just to advise on a spec can often be very worthwhile.

Tony

You seem to want a forum to choose a boiler for you.Tony

Should a new boiler be required I will choose a boiler myself based on assimilated information from the forum and several site visits from prospective suppliers.

I have no qualms about paying for advice and for professional services and also I am happy to receive useful feedback from the forum.

In one respect this thread has given me a bit of renewed confidence in our current boiler and perhaps with a bit of care and servicing it will continue for a few more years yet....

Rgds
Jack

Should a new boiler be required I will choose a boiler myself based on assimilated information from the forum and several site visits from prospective suppliers.

Rgds
Jack

That could end up as one of the worst decisions you have ever made! Only buying it yourself as well would make it even worse.

Although inefficient, your existing boiler is very reliable compared with currently sold boilers. However, a gas saving of about 30% could be a good incentive to have it replaced if your bills are high.

Just by chance I saw a removed Mk I Neataheat on the pavement yesterday in Hornsey Rise Gardens !

Tony Glazier

The radial dial for the output ranging from 1 to 5 then...MAX creeps round to MAX, we normally have it on 3 but it creeps itself
Stick some insulation tape over it then!

These are very basic, reliable boilers, and I wouldn't rush to replace it.

good boiler but there was a safety issue with some where they rot through on the back, worth checking out if your model is affected.

Paul

Rgds
Jack

That could end up as one of the worst decisions you have ever made! Only buying it yourself as well would make it even worse.Tony Glazier

How do you work that one out then? Surely anyone purchasing a new boiler makes the decision themselves based on advice they receive from professional installers or other sources. It is the customer who actually makes the final decision on the basis of recommendations after satifying themselves as to the quality if the information, that was the point I was alluding to.

Anyone who accepts a recommendation for a boiler simply from an installer is a mug, who knows what "beneficial concessions" the installer might be getting from the manufacturers or regional agents etc?

Jack

The radial dial for the output ranging from 1 to 5 then...MAX creeps round to MAX, we normally have it on 3 but it creeps itself
Stick some insulation tape over it then!

These are very basic, reliable boilers, and I wouldn't rush to replace it.

I did that but it came loose over a period of time. It was my own fault that I did not check it as I am aware of what happened last time when it overheated and shut down, lesson learnt 2nd time.

The engineer came round today and we need a new circuit board which has been ordered. I think it was a relay in the board that had gone, perhaps I should ask Tony to go and forage one for me from the Potterton he saw lying on the pavement in Hornsea - any chance Tony, worth a fiver to you, postage extra?

Rgds
Jack

Our annual gas bills were in the region of £1300 at the last check, probably increase in future due to rising prices. A 30% saving would be around £390 per year so it would pay for itself over 6 or 7 years on savings alone assuming £2500 cost for a new one?

Jack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back