New boiler, TRV's and roomstat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently had a new combi boiler fitted in my flat (ideal mini HE), ive been told that I should fit TRV's on all but one of the rads (theres only 4 rads in the flat)

Also there is an old room stat on the wall in the lounge, but this isnt connected up to the boiler.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how many TRV's I should fit which rads I should fit them on and weather I should connect the room stat up?

Thanks in advance for any advice and any advice much appreciated :D

Sponsored Links
Yes - you'll get a much more efficient heating system if you fit TRVs and a room stat, otherwise your boiler may continue to operate, even once the rooms are up to a comfortable temperature.

If you're going to connect up the room stat (or fit a new one), then fit TRVs to all the rads except the one in the same room as the stat.

Simple room stats aren't expensive - even digital ones - so it might make sense to get a new one if your existing one is old (my old one was in fahrenheit !)

It might even be worth investigating whether you can attach a combined programmable timer/stat (unless there's an inbuilt timer on the boiler ?) - check the boiler manual or manufacturer's website for more info.

You'll need wiring diagrams if you're going to wire in a stat - only attempt this if you're competent.

Of course it would have made sense to get the TRVs and room stat fitted at the same time the boiler was fitted !

I'm not a pro - just a DIYer, BTW.

You will need these items, room stat, and TRVs in the sleeping quarters to meet Building regs.

How did you get this boiler fitted recently without these measures forming part of the job? If it was done since June 2005 it will be almost certainly be an illegal and not gas work notified.

Thanks for the advice, I will fit TRV's in the bed, bath and Kithen and put a new wall stat in the lounge.

I got the boiler fitted by a mate and thats why non of this is done already.

Thanks again for the advice ;)

Sponsored Links
Whoever fitted the boiler should have done this at the time of installation.

Obviously and unregistered installer :rolleyes:

No not a bodge job, just aint fitted TRV's and roomstat yet, wots bodge about that???????

Boiler is fitted in fine, not all of us can afford to ring a number out of the yellow pages and get the whole system sorted money no object.

Any new boiler installation is obliged by Part L regs to have TRVs fitted to all rads except the one in the room where the room stat is.

It should not have been signed off without these.

Did you get a certificate from CORGI?

Thats why it is a cheap bodge job.

Currently you should have TRVs fitted to all the rads except the one in the room with the roomstat.

But you should also have had an auto bypass fitted as well.

Pay peanuts and get monkeys who leave you with a non compliant system which has not been notified to CORGI or Building Control. That may give you problems when you try to sell the property.

Tony

also isnt the mini a non condensor?

doesnt part l exist in wales yet?

I agree with Tony but would change the "may" have problems selling to "definatley WILL" have problems.

:)

still cheap is good aint it.

Corgiman does HE not stand for high efficiency on this boiler?

OP, you come here asking for (free) advise from the regulars who earn their crust from doing what you have (presumeably) fitted yourself on the cheap. Not blaming you for it as I have seen (some) DIYers do a better job than (some) 'proffessionals' with blinkers on. Read what is being said instead of shooting back in haste.

Do you think every job that is carried out is through contacts obtained from the thick yellow book or every client is well heeled? It is more a case of referals from friends and family. Everyone watches their pennies. But some are wise when they sub the job and are indeed saving their pennies. It is not for the first time the regulars read posters coming to these pages who have spent a needless fortune throwing parts at their boiler in an effort to same money

Currently you should have TRVs fitted to all the rads except the one in the room with the roomstat.

But you should also have had an auto bypass fitted as well.

Pay peanuts and get monkeys who leave you with a non compliant system which has not been notified to CORGI or Building Control. That may give you problems when you try to sell the property.

Tony

not all the rads, sleping rooms. personally, i do them all but the stat room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back