New Boiler - Vaillant Pro 28 Or Bosch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have had a new boiler survey/quote today to replace my 30 year old Worcester 240.

As the Worcester has been so good for all that time I had the mindset to get another. However, the guy has recommended and priced up for a Vaillant Pro 28.

Two reasons for this - the exisiting pipwork is 22mm (apparently the Worcester requires 25mm) and the Vailliant is (so I am told) just the right output for our four bedrooms/eleven radiators.

All thoughts welcome really please, on whether the Vaillant model is as good as Worcester which I condsidered previously to be the benchmark.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Since the old one done so well ,Get a Worcester in there , you won’t regret it

For every reply you will receive you will get a different opinion, and you have an error in your post you dont get 25mm pipe, if the boiler you already have copes happily with your needs then a boiler with the same output will manage just as well

Thank you for replies. Yes I did realise I would receive differing opinions. However, I respect the views of you guys on here so much that I welcome any thoughts.

Just to be clear, existing pipework has a 15mm segment of several metres (with 22mm at either end), and existing boiler is 24kw. Therefore existing pipework will be altered to 22mm completely, but the guy did say that the Worcester would need 25mm (sic) which would be a bigger job obviously.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Just to conclude this, Vaillant wins. Researching on the net, as well as the many posts on here on the subject, proves that there are frequent gripes about Worcester these days, such as that they are noisy, have plastic/aluminium parts. Yet it is a struggle to find a Vaillant criticism, amd certainly many installers/consumers/maintenance engineers rate them highly.

Being fitted in a few days hopefully.

Thanks again.

Just to conclude this, Vaillant wins. Researching on the net, as well as the many posts on here on the subject, proves that there are frequent gripes about Worcester these days, such as that they are noisy, have plastic/aluminium parts. Yet it is a struggle to find a Vaillant criticism, amd certainly many installers/consumers/maintenance engineers rate them highly.

Being fitted in a few days hopefully.

Thanks again.
Depending on which model you go for, you could level the same criticisms at Vaillant. The Pro you mentioned earlier is OK-ish, the Pure is essentially a cheap Glow-worm with a different badge on the front and a higher price tag

Since their launch we're had well over a dozen design faults on the Ecotec...sure some have been fixed but...
No one that buys "German" thinking it's quality ever wants to admit they made a mistake and bought a lemon.

Thanks for the replies. Well, the Vaillant has been installed now, took a while, 2 days plus a third (couple of hours) for the survey. Very quiet which is nice. Seems ok, but things are so finicky, complicated and overly tech these days, I just can't imagine it lasting for 30 years as the previous iron horse Worcester did. But still, should be more efficient, hopefully.

You're 240 was very simple and was mainly built from well proven off the shelf Italian parts used in many other boiler makes and models at the time.
Those days are long over....

My 240 was replaced last october when new extension went in, it was serviced only 4 times from 2004 to 2019 (installed in 97) good boiler it was, had diverter valve replaced and a prv in them years.

Replaced with a Main Eco Compact 30kw (a rebadged baxi 630).

Aside from the front panel LED's no longer working, and the pressure gauge not registering properly, my old Worcester 240 was working great, and that was with 11 radiators, the boiler was even moved once when an extension was built (3 more rads added), and has performed great throughout. The constant moans of 'we can't get parts for old boilers like this anymore' every time it's serviced along with 'it's very inefficient now this, you will save loads with a new one' forced the 'upgrade' really. Plus there are government incentives/help at the moment.

I just can't imagine any modern boiler lasting 30 years now.

Aside from the front panel LED's no longer working, and the pressure gauge not registering properly, my old Worcester 240 was working great, and that was with 11 radiators, the boiler was even moved once when an extension was built (3 more rads added), and has performed great throughout. The constant moans of 'we can't get parts for old boilers like this anymore' every time it's serviced along with 'it's very inefficient now this, you will save loads with a new one' forced the 'upgrade' really. Plus there are government incentives/help at the moment.

Lots of engineers do not like working on them as they are 'hard' to work on, mine even had 3 rads added during a loft conversion, pretty sure inhibitor was never added to it as well.

Nope. We (the company I work for) have replaced several that have only lasted 7 years or less, just starting to replace some of the older 2006 Vaillants now.

Other notable ones:

Baxi Neta-tec - one of the worst boilers I’ve seen, we’ve replaced some of these not 4/5 years old :eek:

Vaillant EcoTEC pro’s where they’ve had a leaking primary hex or so much damage caused by the condense hose issue

Have to remember modern boilers (modern everything) is built with a certain lifespan. Most condensing boilers will be built with an aim of around 15 years in mind, and they cant go a long time without servicing like the old ones could.

Our old 240 must have been about 17 years old when I canged it (still working fine) had no issues or services in that time, but it really used up the gas, you should certainly notice a difference in the bill if you stick to the same levels of use,

There are some Intergas boilers out there which are in excess of 20 years olds and going strong. The design of the current range has changed very little from those older models. I think they could make 30 years if well looked after

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back