New boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking into getting a new boiler fitted, as the current one is on its last legs (an old back boiler).

I've got a standard 3 bed 1930's semi, solid 9" walls, loft insulation and double glazing (an online calculator says I need 22kW output).

I'm thinking about getting a Greenstar 27CDi, but just wondered if anyone had any recommendations? Idealy I'd like to get a combi fitted to free up some space in the bathroom (removing the old water tanks).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I assume that you are getting a heat only boiler and not a combi.

You say that the heat loss works out at 22 kW. All I can say is that is very high for a three bed semi. The usual figure is 10-12 kW !

You should use the whole house heat loss calculator and add 2 kW for the hot water.

If its a combi then we usually advise at least 28-30 kW as that power is required for water heating.

In all situations the best advice is to let a competent CORGI installer advise you.

I see a lot of problem installations where the boiler is not correctly matched to the property. There is a common feeling that all plumbers are dead ignorant and left school at 15 and that any layman is bound to be able to learn more about heating within a couple of hours.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I'm looking into getting a new boiler fitted, as the current one is on its last legs (an old back boiler).

I've got a standard 3 bed 1930's semi, solid 9" walls, loft insulation and double glazing (an online calculator says I need 22kW output).

I'm thinking about getting a Greenstar 27CDi, but just wondered if anyone had any recommendations? Idealy I'd like to get a combi fitted to free up some space in the bathroom (removing the old water tanks).

Thanks

I don't think 22kW is too far off, Agile; there is no 'normal' heat-losses from a 3-bed house, they come in all different shapes and sizes, with good or bad insulation properties. Some of the larger living rooms in house like this i.e. 1930's semi's, need 3-4kW at -3degC and 21degC internal so 10-12kW seems a little low.

I would add 3kW to the hot water. Then again if youre looking at a combi no allowance is needed as there is no cylinder to add on. Go for a larger model, the combi will do the heating no problem, its the hot water you need to look at. Smaller, say 24kW models only produce low hot water flow rates, the larger, say 37kw, models are capable of more litres/minute so if you are running a tap you get a better flow.

Have you looked at Vaillant? (although either) Worcester are a good boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back