New boilers with permanent lives

The Baxi Solo HE range of conventional boilers have no permanant live or pump live. Just Live neutral and earth, so will replace all boilers on a fully pump system with no additional wiring needed.

They were useless a few years back but are a decent boiler now that they have ironed the probs out. Ive installed quite a few and not been back to any faults.

interesting fact but the thread is about perm live boilers and certain person who likes to think he know everythingabout everything yet doesn't and won't prove he is actually a professionally qualified person

the thread has then discussed the merits of a means of electrical isolation at the boiler and the availability of a suitable switch

Sponsored Links
"and certain person who likes to think he know everythingabout everything yet doesn't and won't prove he is actually a professionally qualified person "

whose you talking about kev?

"and certain person who likes to think he know everythingabout everything yet doesn't and won't prove he is actually a professionally qualified person "

whose you talking about kev?

Stick around you'll soon work out who when he pops up out of his hole :LOL: :LOL:

A 4 pole switch you mean. I always have that done where appropriate. Many W-B boilers need the power going through the boiler, which can complicate wiring.

whats complicated about 4 wires :confused:

What didn't you understand about.."Many W-B boilers need the power going through the boiler, which can complicate wiring."?

As you don't understand, the mains has to go through the boilers control box and the to all the other controls on the system. Many have the mains into a wiring centre and the permanent live to the boiler from there. With some Greenstars tat is not the case.

Sponsored Links
I would not class an ACS certificate as that. AND no im not BB

Ok, so I install a boiler that requires "mains to go through the boilers control box and the to all the other controls on the system", WB, Vailant, Vokera, Ideal etc etc. In this case why the hell would I want to fit a 4 Pole isolator!, when a 2 pole will do the job perfectly.

Ok, so I install a boiler that requires "mains to go through the boilers control box and the to all the other controls on the system", WB, Vailant, Vokera, Ideal etc etc. In this case why the hell would I want to fit a 4 Pole isolator!, when a 2 pole will do the job perfectly.

because there are 2 lives (1 perm and 1 switched) + neutral coming from wiring center and the idea is to have local isolation at the boiler thats why I do it with a Crabtree 3 pole (Fan type) switch

I think there may be some confusion! Instead of messing about with tp isolators why not install fused spur beside boiler? Spur > boiler > wiring centre? I know sometimes boiler swaps/existing cables etc would mean you'd need to leave spur in airing cup

yes that is an option but most of the stuff we find is already there (boiler change rather than new install)

The Baxi Solo HE range of conventional boilers have no permanant live or pump live. Just Live neutral and earth, so will replace all boilers on a fully pump system with no additional wiring needed.

They were useless a few years back but are a decent boiler now that they have ironed the probs out. Ive installed quite a few and not been back to any faults.

Give it time ;)

BB stated "the mains has to go through the boilers control box and the to all the other controls on the system" therefore if you isolate the mains supply to the appliance it will shut it all down inc SWL. My question was, in this case why use anything other than a 2 pole isolator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back